+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Tracy Grip

Default Dick Tracy Grip

I know I do it wrong, but does anyone but me use the Dick Tracy grip, fly casting? Index finger extended rather than thumb up. Should I change?
    Thanks
    Dave Winters

Default Re: Dick Tracy Grip

You can probably get away with with light fly rods,but would not tanslate well into heavier fly rods If you want to expand your flyfishing to bigger fish or saltwater in the future. I would suggest you learn to cast thumb on top so you make it easier to broaden your horizens in the future.

You really did not give much information. I am assuming you are a newbie. Of course my statements are just my opinion

Not a newbie, just an old **** stuck in his ways. But always open to suggestions for improvement. Self taught 33 years ago, I have never casted a rod heavier than a 6 weight. Mostly on 5 weights, mostly on high country alpine lakes, from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitearscarver
    I know I do it wrong, but does anyone but me use the Dick Tracy grip, fly casting? Index finger extended rather than thumb up. Should I change?
    Thanks
    Dave Winters
    I use that grip on my 1-3wt fly rods. I get greater accuracy, especially when working a tight lie (I think it was JC who suggested that to me at the Michigan FI). It puts the fly on the line I want it. As okflyfisher stated, I still use my thumb on my heavier rods.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitearscarver
    Thanks
    Dave Winters
    I use that grip on my 1-3wt fly rods. I get greater accuracy, especially when working a tight lie (I think it was JC who suggested that to me at the Michigan FI). It puts the fly on the line I want it. As okflyfisher stated, I still use my thumb on my heavier rods.

Joe
    same here

I've never heard it called a Dick Tracy grip. What's that about? I've always associated it with Lee Wulff. I use it once in a blue moon when my casting gets sloppy. I don't know why, but it seems to tighten up my loop.

In golf we call it an old man's grip

I'm with Joe and Chris, but I switch to the thumb grip at 5 wt on up. I had good results for accuracy with the 4 wt but distance was not it's forte.

Quote Originally Posted by racine
    I'm with Joe and Chris, but I switch to the thumb grip at 5 wt on up. I had good results for accuracy with the 4 wt but distance was not it's forte.
    When I go for distance the "dick tracy grip" gets thrown out the window with any rod and some nice double hauls later and I'm shooting the line off!!

Wow, thanks for all the responses!
    The Dick Tracy thing comes from golf also. You see it a lot in putting. With the forefinger extended and no club (or rod) it looks like you're pointing a gun.
    Again, Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread