Friday I went to an impoundment to fish for LMB. The water is rather shallow, weedy and has about 3 feet visibility. I was fishing in the middle of a clear day with no signs of bass activity on the surface.

I decided to use 2 flies, both large about 5 feet below a corkie strike indicator. Bottom fly was either a olive marabou leech or a black boa leech. Top was a white wooly bugger.

I would make maybe 7 or 8 casts in an area and get nothing and then the indicator would barely twitch and I would set the hook and have on a LMB. That is all I would get is just a small twitch in the line. During the session on 4 occassions after I hooked the first fish, I ended up with 2 fish on at the same time. I tried slow retrieve, fast retrieve, without and with the indicator and the only way I could get a take was with a slow retrieve.

I concluded that the reservoir must have a lot of fish in it, that they were not very hungry and to get a hit I had to have the fly pass real close to the fish and then after that fish was hooked another would get excited and take the 2d fly even though not very hungry.

Fish were not very large, 10 -14 inches, but on a 3 wt it was fun.

Any thought on this - Thanks, Tim