Hello everyone. I had a chance to cast bamboo for the first time a few days ago and was really "hooked". I went up to my local shop here in Pittsburgh, PA and a maker by the name of Ron Bennett was dropping off a new rod so I had a chance to cast it as well as another, I believe one was a Paul young perfection taper and the other a Garrisson??? Both were 5 weights. WOW. I have only been fly fishing for two years, with graphite, and I have enjoyed big fish much more than our trout here in PA, but I think bamboo is going to change that for me.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Ron? I know he is a Proffessor at Carnegie Mellon (bronze sculpture) and his rods start @ $450 for one tip and $650 for two tips. I believe he hand splits and planes the bamboo and makes his own reel seats and inserts.

I guess I have no reference point to go on as to if these rods are a good thing or not. Everyone I've seen on the web starts at about double the price, except for the imported junk that I'm not about to touch.

I want a quality rod to fish with and it would be nice if it would hold its value, but I certainly don't need a $1500-3000 rod if one of thes will fish as well and last as long. If there are any suggestions you could help with for someone getting started, I would really appreciate it!