+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Apologies: Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass

Default No Apologies: Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass

Amen brother. I love Micropterus dolomieui, may they forever swim about with that streetfighter scowl on their fishy faces. These two lines had me giggling to myself to the extent that my 12 year old looked at me funny.
    Once, while wading, I had a hooked bass run straight at me and encircle my legs with my fly line twice before I could think to reel. To this day, I'm firmly convinced he planned to drown me and mount my hat on his wall. To subdue such a creature, I will gladly utilize any advantage evolution or science can provide.
    My specialty is the roll cast that crashes into the water with a splash only slightly less than that you would expect if I tossed in a lawn chair.
    The wife and I had a blast catching smallies last night until the we both awoke to the realization that the driving rain we had been standing in for the last hour had in fact soaked us both to the bone and we would have been less wet had we dove into the river. When the fish are biting I don't easily get distracted, and apparently either does she. Man she IS a keeper.

Default Re: No Apologies: Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass

Every time I catch a decent Smallie in the river I am AMAZED at how tough and tenacious they are.

I have only managed a few over 12" with maybe one over 16" so far on the declining Susquehanna this year; but even on an 8 weight outfit; they are a LOT to handle!

Yesterday I managed to catch an 18" trout on a local stream and compared to a 14" Smallie; the trout was a joke!

Yesterday I managed to catch an 18" trout on a local stream and compared to a 14" Smallie; the trout was a joke!
    Don't get me wrong I love to fish for coldwater species, but smallmouth fishing appeals to me more. The flies are generally larger , and neatness seems to count less, so my amateuerish tying is less of a concern, and splashy, noisy, casts actually seem to help sometimes. You gotta love a species where a 10 inch specimen has no problem trying to eat a three inch fly, then promptly launches itself 18 inches out of the water, and does a three foot tail walk as soon as it finds itself hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62
    Don't get me wrong I love to fish for coldwater species, but smallmouth fishing appeals to me more. The flies are generally larger...
    Sag:

I could never give up trout fishing either especially since I have great trout fishing less than 10 minutes away but if you never fished the White Fly hatch in its glory on the Susquehanna; you missed something awesome. Catching a 16" or larger smallmouth on a size 14 dry fly with a 3X-4X tippet is incredible!

Most of the time I just stand there shaking my head not believing how they fight. And when I see that the fish isn't even 18" or larger; I get totally psyched to catch another.

In the ring a heavyweight trout would get whupped by a middleweight smallie every night of the week!

[url=http://www.thesmilies.com:635c3][/url:635c3]

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

You guys have me convinced that I gotta start fishing for smallies!

I've only done it on spin tackle waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when and I remember what a hoot they were.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Bamboozle,

I hope to fish the Susquehanna someday. I have nice put and take coldwater fishing nearby, like many of us, but nothing that could be considered blue ribbon. Smallies however, infest nearly every body of water around, both still and flowing. Sure, you catch alot of little guys, but even they are a ton of fun. And the occasional big boy really gets my blood flowing. One of these evenings bass fishing I know I am going to run across a hatch going on and that will be a great day. We do have what are called White Millers that I think are the Ephoron leukon that people refer to as White Flies. I saw them one night my first season fly fishing on a local trout stream, and of course I had not a single white imitation in my meager fly box, so it was more an exercise in frustration. They weren't a blanket hatch like people talk about, but there were alot of them.

Jim,

Do it. Do it now! I occasionally(shame, shame) go out with my Ugly Stik, and some Mister Twisters. Not as fun as on the long rod, but good times none the less. Last time I did I actually caught a about a 18" long walleye on a spoon and bucktail lure. I guess he forgot the spawn was over. Boy was I suprised.

Smallies - my favorite fish. Nothing like watching one inhale a popper or a grasshopper and then start tail walking.

I just love catching smallmouth bass.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Dear Sagittarius,

I'm not sure where you live in NY State but the Susquehanna River up there in Broome and Tioga counties is at least the equal if not better than the Susquehanna used to be far downriver in PA. I have fished the Susquehanna for over 30 years in both PA and NY State. I lived eleven years in Broome County and I know the area well so PM me if you want some ideas as to where to fish.

Some sections are best fished with a boat because there are some deeper holes that simply cannot be waded, but there are plenty of wading opportunities too. I used to fish during lunchtime right in downtown Binghamton and catch plenty of fish. The area below Goudey Station powerplant in Johnson City is a hot-spot too and there is a nice park to access the river.

Don't forget the Tioghnioga, Chemung, Unadilla, and Chenango Rivers either. All of these rivers are excellent smallmouth streams and they all offer bonus fish like walleye and northern pike too.

I really miss the fishing I had up there, it was truly world class.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Been flyfishing for Smallmouths for 20 years. It's a great activity. Here in SE Michigan the Huron River is great Smallmouth stream.

I live in trout country (well on the fringes of it anyways) and love to fish for them. Smallies are also terrific the put on a great fight and a great show. I got out on Saturday to a nice small stream near my Mom's in Virgina. Caught 20+ smallies in about 4 hours on the stream. What a hoot. the biggest were in the 12-13 inch range and the smallest were 3-4 inches. All on the same black and yellow popper. I finally put it into a tree trying to cast under the branches and decided it was time to quit for the evening. A great day on the water.

+ Reply to Thread