+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Hair Caddis Wings

Default Elk Hair Caddis Wings

I have always had trouble with Elk Hair Caddis wings in that they alwasy spin around the shank of the hook. I lay a base of thread down first, wrap around just the hair a couple times and wind through the butts a couple times yet the hair will still spin from time to time. Any suggestions?
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

Default Re: Elk Hair Caddis Wings

Use less thread wraps. Try not laying a base of thread. Use one loose wrap to gather the hair, apply tension as you wrap a second time, and really torque down on the third, all in the SAME spot. Wrap 2 or 3 times through the butts, whip and clip.

If you are still having trouble maybe a drop of super glue after your whip finish in the butts will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodde
    Use less thread wraps. Try not laying a base of thread. Use one loose wrap to gather the hair, apply tension as you wrap a second time, and really torque down on the third, all in the SAME spot. Wrap 2 or 3 times through the butts, whip and clip.

If you are still having trouble maybe a drop of super glue after your whip finish in the butts will help.
    HHhhmmm...Flyrodde...I would have started this way....Lay a base of thread ..then.."Use one loose wrap to gather the hair"..etc....etc...

Isn't it easier to spin on a bare hook ...therefore not what we're after here.

maybe this might help try using instead of elk hair, get some snowshoe rabbit hair and tie it in the same way its softer and will hold better
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

You can use the pinch method. Here is a link. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...te/part33.html See Step 3. If you have a Skip Morris book, he usually includes an illustration of the pinch method.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

You can also sub poly yard for the elk hair and brush it out. I learned that from one of Al Beatty's fly tying tapes.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I second using the pinch method. Hold the elk hair firmly together as you make the loose turns with the thread and when you do pull the thread tight, pull straight down while still holding the material tightly together. Works for me.

Pinch or whatever you call it; I never let go of the elk hair until I'm ready to whip finish the head. Four wraps to secure and flair; move thread off of hair and on to area behind eye; four whip finish wraps.

I never have any issues. A lot of beginning tyers let go of materials too soon causing the stuff to spin around the hook as they wrap the thread. You can make one wrap to secure, let go, take a look and if it's OK; grab it again and add any additional wraps required.

At least that's what I do.

I also use 6/0 thread on my EWC so I can make tighter wraps with the stronger thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodde

HHhhmmm...Flyrodde...I would have started this way....Lay a base of thread ..then.."Use one loose wrap to gather the hair"..etc....etc...

Isn't it easier to spin on a bare hook ...therefore not what we're after here.
    For me it doesn't really matter if the hook is bare or not. Too many wraps around the hook shank can create slack in the thread making it easy for the wraps to loosen and let the wing spin.

In essence you are "spinning" the wing. Just on the top of the shank only. When I "Spin" hair, I gather it, tighten it then let go of it while I continue wrapping and tighening. For the wings I never let go of the tips until I wrap through the butts tightly. then I gather the butts, wrap once under them, snip them, and whip under the butts. Since I started tying wings that way, I have never had one spin on me.

If you are still having problems, super glue works. It's just one extra step, but it really holds things where you want them.

Here is my method. Three wraps light tension, while holding the hair. On the last wrap pull up with more tension. A couple more wraps with moderate tension, then pull back the butts and wrap under them with moderate tension. Trim butts, whip finish, done.

+ Reply to Thread