+ Reply to Thread

Thread: internet service provider crooked

Default internet service provider crooked

there hardware went down. called em they said yeah its not working.
    (wanted me to get a tech out to chec out pc it has nothing to do with pc.it eiter works or it dont). wasnt nothing for tech to see.hardware already had seen a tech,
    didn't need me to get pc checked out pc wasnt the problem). then they said u paid 100 for it. u wont get that back,
    if u had just a modem u could take it inand get another one. with this u to get a tech out and pay 100 bucks.just to say its not the pc croccccccccccked.

nighthawk Guest

Default Re: internet service provider crooked

Unfortunately this happens way too often.[url=http://www.thesmilies.com:08605][/url:08605] Really frustrates them when they run into someone, like me, that knows how to build P.C.'s. All of that U.S. Army aircraft maintenance training has continued to pay off for me.

Good for you not being taken by this. You played it smart. [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:08605][/url:08605] I wonder how many people fall prey to this. Spending time on the internet to learn how your P.C. works is something everyone should do. Here is one of my favorite sites:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Eric,
    I recently switched to Qwest phone and internet from being a long time Comcast customer. I'm hesitant from the beginning wether I want to hook up everything to the Modem and Computer. Qwest rep said the kit is in the mail and if you don't want to hook it up Qwest will for X amount, then the rep said "but I think you can do it since the kit comes with a CD instructions". I Hooked it up! It works FINE! and I just had to be calm and follow instructions. I have noticed that Best Buy has a Service that will hook all your electronics up for $100.00 or something like that and that is money you can save by just following instructions and also maybe a 1-800 #
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

There is another peril in letting someone into your home to do these things. I seem to recall recently hearing on
    Fox News that there is a lawsuit against Best Buy and their Geek Squad for installing unauthorized cameras and software in the homes of certain customers. Supposedly the equipment was installed in rooms where the customers privacy is important without any permission from the customer. The software that allowed remote access was then installed also without the customers knowledge or consent.

Doug is correct. You can install all of this yourself. Take your time, read all instructions thoroughly and put the CD-ROM into the computer. Follow the directions on the CD-ROM. Also, only select hardware that has a free tech support via telephone.

All of the components needed to wire your own home net are available from your Internet service provider, big box home improvement store, retail store, local PC shop and online. One of my favorite online sources is Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/ an incredible source for PC and electronic items. Beware, shopping Newegg and DIY for PC upgrades can be as addictive, and costly, as our favorite past time.

Here is another web site that is darned fun and handy to have for work around the house:

http://www.diynetwork.com/

I am no expert but am always willing to help. Just pm me.

Blog Entries

would like to encourage the new diy guys: when her father went down with a ruptured tendon, our daughter installed the wireless network so he could use a computer in bed. she bought the box, read the directions, put tab A into slot B, and hey! presto! it worked.

she also is a tax accountant, so that might explain the uncanny ability to follow the most obscure of directions. anyway, she's not the only person i know who tried this at home...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread