+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shiny Things V.S. Dull Things

Default Shiny Things V.S. Dull Things

With all this talk about what the trout see and whether or not it's natural and whatnot, I though "why not start a thread about what we think is natural and like."
    Now, do you guys like shiny crap on your vest?( forceps, nippers, retractors etc) to be flashy silver and gold? or matte black?

Also with other things you can think of, do you like dull stuff or bright shiny fly fishing gear?
    A LOUD colored chest pack/vest? or dull tan/beige/or sage?
    The shiniest rod finish you can find? or the mattest black?

and any other examples of bright/shiny v.s. dull/ matte?

Tons of questions i know.
    But I have answered these questions myself and think it would be cool to hear others opinions on these.

I also notice more and more different colors/ finishes of rods, tying tools, vest accessories, fly line colors, leader tints, tippet tints, indicator colors and whatever else. All to make us dig into our wallets for a new color or slight change of a different product, But isn't that what they want to accomplish?, then change it next year to make us purchase more STUFF.

As for my opinions(as if anyone cares )
    I get matte black forceps, nippers, retractors and whatnot that do not shine sunlight into my face at an important moment.
    A sage colored chest pack or a tan vest.
    matte black rods.

Default Re: Shiny Things V.S. Dull Things

Chris,
    The ONLY thing I can think of is, it might be important to wear a BRIGHT Orange Vest.......,
    During Hunting Season!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I was told once ...if you want a better chance at getting your picture published..wear bright colors...

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I was told once ...if you want a better chance at getting your picture published..wear bright colors...
    I'm in LUCK! I just started wearing Hawaiian SHIRTS! (Real Coconut Buttons!)
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I'll be watching....

Blog Entries

I have black clamps and matt finish nippers, a sage green vest, and wear medium colored (pale blue or beige) shirts and a khaki hat when fishing for trout. All very stealthy feeling to me (don't know what the fish think). And a sanded or matt finish rod (now) and white indicators. You are almost standing over the fish when fishing pocket water, so your outline will be all wiggly from the current. If on smooth water, stay low. If you blend in with the surroundings, all the better.

I'm going to wear a fish mask.

Probably a brown trout.

I use to run the state pay-to-play ponds here in Connecticut
    When the sun was right, I could see light reflecting off of the stuff on peoples vests from 100's of yards away

No retractors for me and I keep the other stuff pinned inside the the pockets of my vest.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I really like the built-in retractors that came on my chest packs.
    They dont break like all the other metal cord/ nylon cord ones, and theres no as much fumbling.

Blog Entries

I prefer to be drab, in what I wear and what I carry. Not so much as to keep the fish from seeing me, although I think that helps, but to keep all the other stuff from being bothered by me. When the mink swim up to you, or the heron lets you wade within fifteen feet, it is worth it to me.

+ Reply to Thread