+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at Fly Fishing

Default Re: First attempt at Fly Fishing

His profil shows San Gabriel Valley CA

Look in your yellow pages for a "mom and pop" near you!

and definately it's not a pole, You gotta call it a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald
    His profil shows San Gariel Valley CA
    ?? says san gabriel to me.

He's closer to Bob Mariotts than I am, and I go there.

It will be rod from now on

Fullerton is about 15 to 20 mins from me and I know it well, I will check it out.

I have a couple of more attempts under my belt now and have not destroyed the leader. About 75% of my casts are ok and I got a better idea of the wrist motion. I still do not get a bite, but I am practicing with dry flies and the fish really are not rising above the surface film. Then again I am just practicing my casting.

Next I will try a local river so I can work on the roll cast and try casting upstream.

nighthawk Guest

You have been given sound advice here so all I will add is my own welcome to the best fly fishing site in the world.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Board. You say

"Does anyone here fly fish at a lake where wading is prohibited? I dont think I can cast far enough to catch anything as the water is really shallow for the first 10 feet."

I know you can cast more than 10 feet to where the water starts to get deeper. Does the bottom drop off sharply from that point? If so this is the one of the best areas to try. Drop offs often produce fish. In the evening as the light starts to fade the shallows can be very productive as large fish move up to cruise the shallows. A cast of 30 to 40 feet is usually enough to get a floating line far enough out to raise a fish or two. Every lake is different of course and some are just plain no good from shore. A trip to your nearest local flyshop will usually get you some good advice on the lake in question.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Well, I went to the river and caught one trout. It was not a big trout, maybe 4 inches but it was fun to release it so I can try to catch it again next year. For my first trip fly fishing, I am calling it a success.

All the help from this site made it easy and fun. I used a dry fly that looked similar to what was landing on the water and sides of the river, and a 9 foot tapered 5x leader. I was casting with a roll cast and was able to make a nice delivery of the fly. The one big problem I had was foot wear, I dont have waders yet, and instead went out with some flimsy soled water shoes. The river rock bruised the bottom of my feet so much that I could barely wade through the current. So I basically stayed in one area most of the time.

After that alot of noisey people showed up to the area and I believe the fish were scared away because I could not even get a nibble after that.

So for the next trip I will get a vest, some good waders and a secluded spot.

ludeboy_77,
    Congratulations buddy!!!! You caught a trout!!! Just keep practicing and fishing and it will all come together for you! And were here to BACK YOU UP!!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Try reading my column up right now. And, print this out from about ten years ago and do what it says. It is cheaper than a DVD,,, and works.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst3498.html

+ Reply to Thread