In anticipation of my vacation to do some fly fishing I decided to give it my first try at a local lake (wading is prohibited). Well I had fun playing with the new rod and reel, and saw some fish rising to take something that looked like it was just under the surface film. I made eager attempts to land my fly near the spot where I saw the rise, but maybe I was too eager. In all, I lost two flies (snapped them off) and broke one hook on some rocks, I also destroyed one leader. I think I scared all the fish away with my casting.

After I destroyed my leader I decided to head back home and review my DVD on trout fishing. Sure enough I was over powering the rod and doing everything else wrong, which is warned out about in the DVD. So I think I will be practicing my roll cast in my backyard, and buying lots of leaders. One good thing, I am pretty good at making some of the knots shown on this site.

Does anyone here fly fish at a lake where wading is prohibited? I dont think I can cast far enough to catch anything as the water is really shallow for the first 10 feet.