Quote Originally Posted by EdD
Actually is requires surprisingly little lead to cause brain damage in very small children. Those are the ones that put everything, including their toys, in the mouths. After one reaches age 5, or even earlier, the brain has grown a membrane around itself that goes a very long way in protecting its from lead poisoning. It is the very young who are at greatest risk for lead poisoning. This is a big issue in the wargaming community because lead was used in the manufacture of "historical miniatures" (a.k.a. "toy soldiers") for decades. I have just passed on the info that one of the members of our wargaming club gave us. He is a professor of chemistry at Vanderbilt University, so I tend to trust him. BTW, his explanation of super glue is really interesting.

Ed
Yes, EdD, from what I understand your friend is correct. I think folks were trying to inject a bit of humor in an attempt to put this in some perspective. It was an obvious over-statement. As real estate agents, we were very actively involved in the lead paint disclosure, testing, and certification business. Lead paint is pretty harmless to anyone over the age of 5 because we are so unlikely to eat it and have a higher tolerance. But it is a very real threat to small children. And ANY amount of lead paint on a product or in a residential building is a HUGE problem that will prevent the commercial or private transfer of said items.

Maybe now we know why the Chinese shot that government minister in the head and sent his family a bill for the bullet.