+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian Made?

Default Re: Asian Made?

I think it is a great accomplishment that we have forced the tycoons and moguls to quit polluting over here and move their polluting and pillaging of resources to the world's largest communist country. Other than that, I don't see how anything has really changed all that much. Well, there is that whole 1-day trial and execution by firing squad the next morning at sunrise for government officials responsible for oversight who take bribes to look the other way thing. But I think that's an improvement too.

Blog Entries

We cannot ignore that we now live in a global economy, and keeping our commerce within the boundaries of the US is not going to make us, in the long run, a stronger country. And you will never get rid of imported goods until the US can manufacture those goods, or similar ones, at the same price, which aint gonna happen in our lifetimes.

Says the man typing on a computer made in China, wearing a T-shirt made in Honduras, shoes made in China, socks (sho knows), and jeans made in the US (woohoo, but then again it is a federal government uniform, so...)

I admit that I know little or nothing about business. It looks to me, though, that it's all about a company deciding how tight their tolerances will be, how pure their ingredients, how well inspected the factories and products, and then actually following up by putting inspectors in place in the factories in China. I know that some tool companies (like table saws, etc.) insist on better fit and finish than others and use their own inspectors and that others don't.... sometimes right out of the same factory buildings. I've been told this by the very people who have set up a couple of factories over there. So if the companies wanted it done right in China, it probably could be. I hope they realize that they're better off moving some production back here to the states.

You might have noticed the Press Reports about millions of Toys manufactured in China being recalled. Well don't worry the 'Sky isn't Falling!' The Press conveniently neglects to tell anyone that lead paint on anything won't make you sick or kill you unless you consume a gigantic amount of it!
    The Press has 'Hot Button' words and one of them is Lead.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    You might have noticed the Press Reports about millions of Toys manufactured in China being recalled. Well don't worry the 'Sky isn't Falling!' The Press conveniently neglects to tell anyone that lead paint on anything won't make you sick or kill you unless you consume a gigantic amount of it!
    Doug
    Yeah, but they recalled MILLIONS of toys. Now...if ONE kid ate ALL of them...

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMallard
    Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Doug
    Yeah, but they recalled MILLIONS of toys. Now...if ONE kid ate ALL of them...

Well, that was just rude....now I have to wipe coffee off my monitor

FG,
    Drown your monitor! Get one of mine, Dell 17 inch LCD, it's sweet!
    Doug

Blog Entries

Actually is requires surprisingly little lead to cause brain damage in very small children. Those are the ones that put everything, including their toys, in the mouths. After one reaches age 5, or even earlier, the brain has grown a membrane around itself that goes a very long way in protecting its from lead poisoning. It is the very young who are at greatest risk for lead poisoning. This is a big issue in the wargaming community because lead was used in the manufacture of "historical miniatures" (a.k.a. "toy soldiers") for decades. I have just passed on the info that one of the members of our wargaming club gave us. He is a professor of chemistry at Vanderbilt University, so I tend to trust him. BTW, his explanation of super glue is really interesting.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD
    Actually is requires surprisingly little lead to cause brain damage in very small children. Those are the ones that put everything, including their toys, in the mouths. After one reaches age 5, or even earlier, the brain has grown a membrane around itself that goes a very long way in protecting its from lead poisoning. It is the very young who are at greatest risk for lead poisoning. This is a big issue in the wargaming community because lead was used in the manufacture of "historical miniatures" (a.k.a. "toy soldiers") for decades. I have just passed on the info that one of the members of our wargaming club gave us. He is a professor of chemistry at Vanderbilt University, so I tend to trust him. BTW, his explanation of super glue is really interesting.

Ed
    Yes, EdD, from what I understand your friend is correct. I think folks were trying to inject a bit of humor in an attempt to put this in some perspective. It was an obvious over-statement. As real estate agents, we were very actively involved in the lead paint disclosure, testing, and certification business. Lead paint is pretty harmless to anyone over the age of 5 because we are so unlikely to eat it and have a higher tolerance. But it is a very real threat to small children. And ANY amount of lead paint on a product or in a residential building is a HUGE problem that will prevent the commercial or private transfer of said items.

Maybe now we know why the Chinese shot that government minister in the head and sent his family a bill for the bullet.

+ Reply to Thread