Tuesday, August 14th, we spent an hour at Sage. I was expecting the usual; new rods for 2008, we were pleasantly surprised. First, they are phasing out the SLT, the line has been around for several years and it's time to move on. Secondly, they have combined the SLT engineering with the A-axis and will produce a new series, the ZXL; G5 technology combined with the silky smooth action of the SLT. Third, Sage has expanded the Z-Axis series to cover even more situations.

Here is what took us by surprise. I noticed a slight smile on the general managers face while we covered several subjects and then he finally came out with it. Sage has developed a new rod. Now don't lose me here. In fact they have created two new rods, both for you warm water guys. And of course, you trouter's who also fish for bass. Largemouth and Smallmouth.

A whole new and different concept. Two unique rods, both seven feet, eleven inch four piece. They come with a rod tube that has the pouch on the end so the reel can stay on when you case it up. They each have their own FLY LINE. Yes, a special eighty foot fly line has been designed for each rod. The 'Largemouth' line is 290 grains and the Smallmouth line is 330 grains.

These rods have been designed to function with the exact line which comes with the rod. Indeed a new concept; the rod and line produced as a single package. Don't ask me what 'weight' these rods are, I have no idea. They are not rated that way. Each has it's own matching line and one is for small mouth and one is for Largemouth.
I will bring you more of this later on, but for right now I can tell you that you might be very interested in our drawing during the month of September.