+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm water guys,,, heads up!

Default Warm water guys,,, heads up!

Tuesday, August 14th, we spent an hour at Sage. I was expecting the usual; new rods for 2008, we were pleasantly surprised. First, they are phasing out the SLT, the line has been around for several years and it's time to move on. Secondly, they have combined the SLT engineering with the A-axis and will produce a new series, the ZXL; G5 technology combined with the silky smooth action of the SLT. Third, Sage has expanded the Z-Axis series to cover even more situations.

Here is what took us by surprise. I noticed a slight smile on the general managers face while we covered several subjects and then he finally came out with it. Sage has developed a new rod. Now don't lose me here. In fact they have created two new rods, both for you warm water guys. And of course, you trouter's who also fish for bass. Largemouth and Smallmouth.

A whole new and different concept. Two unique rods, both seven feet, eleven inch four piece. They come with a rod tube that has the pouch on the end so the reel can stay on when you case it up. They each have their own FLY LINE. Yes, a special eighty foot fly line has been designed for each rod. The 'Largemouth' line is 290 grains and the Smallmouth line is 330 grains.

These rods have been designed to function with the exact line which comes with the rod. Indeed a new concept; the rod and line produced as a single package. Don't ask me what 'weight' these rods are, I have no idea. They are not rated that way. Each has it's own matching line and one is for small mouth and one is for Largemouth.
    I will bring you more of this later on, but for right now I can tell you that you might be very interested in our drawing during the month of September.

Default Re: Warm water guys,,, heads up!

"They come with a rod tube that has the pouch on the end so the reel can stay on when you case it up."

I wonder why Sage would do such a thing?

Someone we highly respect once said....

"Here I go again; neck properly extended...

I don't even use those rod cases that have the pocket for the reel. I found that they seem to promote storing rods that really should not be. Dirty, WET or a guy just gets in a hurry or kinda lazy. If I HAVE to take my reel off, then I probably will not put away a rod in bad condition. That big tube might work great for you guys, probably does, just remember to take care of the rods.
    I had 12 of those combo cases for the school rods, sold them all."

I just couldn't resist, JC.

Thank you for the heads up re: the new products

YAHOO!! I LOVE those September drawings for Sage stuff. Look out folks, Grandson Michael is scheduled to meet his namesake 9/14/07 via C-section delivery, & news of new Grandkids tends to shower me with good luck.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Can we assume they are thinking about doing the same for trout rods in the future?

Tuber If you had any more luck you'd win the lottery twice on the same day. If you win again in September I will have to hunt you down so I can rub your forehead.

I ruined a perfectly good flyline by zipping it up tight in a rod tube . I was wet tired and hungry and forgot to leave the zipper opened a bit . The line molded and rotted over a winter. I was 14 at the time and this was a huge hit as I could not afford another one right away.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    I ruined a perfectly good flyline by zipping it up tight in a rod tube . I was wet tired and hungry and forgot to leave the zipper opened a bit . The line molded and rotted over a winter. I was 14 at the time and this was a huge hit as I could not afford another one right away.
    You'll be pleased to know that the outer coating on today's fly lines just get funky looking if you put them away wet. I haven't noticed any difference in castability or floatability. If it becomes a problem, I'll just go buy another $20 line and tie it on.

Take off the reel...dry the fly line...wipe off any and all dirt, smudges, etc from the reel...allow to further air dry for God knows how long before putting it in its sheepskin lined case on the shelf in the climate controlled storage room...carefully take apart all rod sections...inspect each section and remove any dust, water spots, finger prints, etc...allow cork handle to thoroughly dry...put each rod section into its proper slot in the rod sock...carefully roll rod sock and place inside climate controlled rod tube...place rod tube on shelf in climate controlled room next to fly reel...inform wife that she can now set the table for dinner. "Hey Honey? I'm through with my ritualistic cleansing of the fly fishing equipment, so you can get ready for dinner. Honey? Are you here Honey....Honey, wake up, we can have dinner now, it's only 11:30.

Or, we can do it MY way! CHuck the rod in the truck between the seat and console (I don't want it to get damaged) with fly still on tippet and hooked on a snake guide so I don't have to restring the rod next time I use it. Screech into the driveway 30 seconds before dinner is served and get into my chair with 10 seconds to spare. Everything will dry out in the truck overnight and be ready for fishing at a moments notice, If I have to take it out of the truck, I gingerly place the rod on top of the highest object on the workbench in the garage so it won't get damaged.

That's my life, and I'm having a ball.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Interesting that they would do this.
    I wonder if they will come up with setups for crappie, catfish and bluegill?

I salute Sage for doing something that is warmwater.

Rick

Does this mean we are no longer the "red-headed step child of fly fishing"?

..I kinda liked that role.

Props to Sage.

from the new Sage catalog.

"The Largemouth rod is designed for seriously industrial-strength angling, like firing rats or other maximum-bulk flies into a stiff Delta breeze..."

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    from the new Sage catalog.

"The Largemouth rod is designed for seriously industrial-strength angling, like firing rats or other maximum-bulk flies into a stiff Delta breeze..."
    What is the blank?

+ Reply to Thread