+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Finish

Default Rod Finish

I have always wondered why fly rods aren't finished in a camo finish...

Wouldn't this help avoid the fish seeing a great ariel whizzing back and forth in their general area?

Another thing is the gloss finish on many rods, and the shiny finish on rings and guides, isn't there the chance of the sun flashing off these things?

Maybe I think too much huh

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Cheers NuTz
    Puttin' the fun in dysfunctional.

Default Re: Rod Finish

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4bikez
    I have always wondered why fly rods aren't finished in a camo finish...

Wouldn't this help avoid the fish seeing a great ariel whizzing back and forth in their general area?

Another thing is the gloss finish on many rods, and the shiny finish on rings and guides, isn't there the chance of the sun flashing off these things?

Maybe I think too much huh

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Cheers NuTz
    In my opinion, as long as there are no reflective materials on the rod, then there isn't any problem. I have never heard any comments that fly rods need to have a flat finish and not a shiny finish.
    The rod and casting motion isn't the problem, YOU are the problem, what your wearing, how stealthy you are, how quiet you are! Your basically 'hunting' so take that approach! If you see a holding fish from long distance, then you don't go right up to it! You stalk it! On the subject of Camo, I am all for it IF it matches the terrain (surroundings).
    Doug P.S. Of course when I said YOU were the problem I didn't mean your personality!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

What DShock said!

BTW, Everett Garrison the great bamboo rod builder felt that dulling the shiny finish of his varnished rods was an important step. He did it with a pumice and linseed oil mixture rubbed on the finished rod.

Just remember one thing nutz4bikez; fish don't see like we do and SOMETIMES they see things against the backdrop of the bright sky; not the woods. Maybe a fly rod being high in the air in the scheme of things; should be sky blue...

...unless it's raining.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    What DShock said!

BTW, Everett Garrison the great bamboo rod builder felt that dulling the shiny finish of his varnished rods was an important step. He did it with a pumice and linseed oil mixture rubbed on the finished rod.

Just remember one thing nutz4bikez; fish don't see like we do and SOMETIMES they see things against the backdrop of the bright sky; not the woods. Maybe a fly rod being high in the air in the scheme of things; should be sky blue...

...unless it's raining.

That's a good point! If your wearing Camo, that matches the surroundings, then you might as well have your rod Camo color according to the weather!!! 4 pc'ers! you could have the Sunny Day rod in your backpack for the afternoon and the Cloudy Day rod for the morning!!!
    You know sometimes I surprise even myself!
    I knew something had to go right this week!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Carefully place a ribbon of masking tape (or, 'Pin-striping tape' from an Auto store) on opposite sides of your rod. This will leave two sides exposed. Spray paint (air-brush) one side sky blue, (bright sunny day) the other a reddish camouflage pattern (fall foliage colors). Now, carefully, when the paint has dried well, remove the tape and put it right over the painted surfaces, now leaving two more areas open for more paint. Paint one of them the regular camo pattern (woodsy background) and the last is optional to be finished with a pattern chosen by you, for your local environment.
    By simply maintaining some care in your presentation you should catch thousands more trouts or whatever and write a book and get rich.

What i find strange is I see dull finishes on spinning rods with stiff action. These rods are designed to throw the bait pretty far. It shouldn't be a problem for them to have a shiny finish. Then we have fly rods that are fished right on top of the fish with shiny finishes.

Seems backwards.

I REALLY like the matte black finishes with just a little gloss on the thread wraps.
    my g.loomis GL3 and my cabelas clear creek have the matte black finish, that I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    I REALLY like the matte black finishes with just a little gloss on the thread wraps.
    my g.loomis GL3 and my cabelas clear creek have the matte black finish, that I really like.
    'MY G.LOOMIS GL3"???????? Did I loan YOU MY rod???
    What RU doing with it????
    Thanx,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Carefully place a ribbon of masking tape (or, 'Pin-striping tape' from an Auto store) on opposite sides of your rod. This will leave two sides exposed. Spray paint (air-brush) one side sky blue, (bright sunny day) the other a reddish camouflage pattern (fall foliage colors). Now, carefully, when the paint has dried well, remove the tape and put it right over the painted surfaces, now leaving two more areas open for more paint. Paint one of them the regular camo pattern (woodsy background) and the last is optional to be finished with a pattern chosen by you, for your local environment.
    By simply maintaining some care in your presentation you should catch thousands more trouts or whatever and write a book and get rich.
    JC,
    You could have given me a day or two to get my PATENT!!! before U writ that!
    Thanks for nuttin!
    Doug

For what it is worth - saw a video put together by Ozzie O. ? Don't even ask me his last name now, but he videos trout with an underwater camera set up. Anywho, he was filming a fisherman's approach to the water and guestimating what/how the fish would view all of this. Of course that part was to demonstrate a low profile is always best. Then he made a point of pointing out the light glare/reflection off of the guys rod. He especially filmed and made a comment regarding bamboo. Doesn't stop me from using one, but on a bright day... just a thought.
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

+ Reply to Thread