+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Default Anyone use a pocket watch?

OK, I realize this might be a goofy question for a fly fishing bulletin board but here goes...

I like carrying a pocket watch instead of wearing a wrist watch. However, I am having trouble finding one that holds up well to the rigors of outdoor use. I think moisture, dirt, getting banged around , etc. are the main problems.

Can any of you who carry a pocket watch recommend a brand, model, etc. that will hold up better than the "cheapies" that I have been using? I would rather spend $100 on a good one that will last for several years than have to keep fighting the $20-$30 models I have tried.

Thanks!

Default Re: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Royce,
    What a nice subject to bring up! My Grandpa carried a pocket watch and I've always been fascinated by them. You know! The GOLD pocket watch was what they used to give you when you retired. Now they give you a swift kick in the pants!
    I will do some research on pocket watches and get back to you.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

In the food service business things like wrist watches and rings are only in the way and collect germs so I carry a pocket watch for work.
    Unfortunately when you carry a watch in your pocket it tends to get pretty banged up.
    Since it's only for work, a $10 watch works best for me and when I kill one I just get another
    Not much help, huh
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Found some interesting Pocket Watches!
    I went with dudley's comments on looking for cheaper, practical watches, but my eyes wandered into nicer watches.
    Wenger Swiss Army PW, $225.00 Very Nice!
    Montana Silversmiths Eagle PW, $90.00
    Musical Train PW, $36.99
    Euro Geneve 14k Gold Men's PW, $1700.00
    Karim Rashid PW, $90.00 Very interesting Dial.

I can see how tempting it would be to buy a high end watch but dudley's right!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Here is something else that one could look at....

Go to...www.cabela's.com

enter the following item #'s

UG-620973

or

2UG-691854

or

2UG-619766

or

UG-617498

or

IH-619780
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I quit wearing a wrist watch on my 18th Birthday. I know this because I lost my last wrist watch that day when I took it off to wash my hands in a restaurant where I was having dinner. I've never owned another one since. I bought a Westclox Bull's Eye at a local hardware store and haven't looked back since. For a few years I carried that watch but probably for the last 20 years I've not routinely found a use or need for any watch.

At work we have clocks everywhere, the car has one, the computer has one, and the infernal cell phone has one. Who needs a watch? I still have the old Bull's Eye, now over 30 years old. I put it in my pack when I go hunting, mostly for old time sake. During quiet time in the woods I can even hear the beast ticking, love that sound! If I ever have to have a watch it will be a pocket watch so I'll watch this thread closely for the board?s recommendations.

My apologies for the semi-hijack of the thread but it just brought back too good of a pocket watch memory.
    Joe Bertolini

I don't wear or carry a watch of any type.
    I do however have a pocket watch given to me by my uncle. It a Howard - 17 jewel - made in USA with a double gold back. I've had the watch cleaned and it keeps perfect time. He gave it to me about 50 years ago. My mother told me he had won it in a pool game in the days when he was a hustler. He's been dead for over 30 years. I have fond memories of the man that I won't go into here but I cherish the watch.

no pocket watch, but when im fishing I wear my wenger swiss military watch. It was 250.00 if i believe correctly.

Yes

RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

The two I most often use are an 18 size 17 jewel Waltham, and a 16 size 17 jewel Waltham. Both are hunter movements, but are set in an open face case (sometimes called a "sidewinder"). Really, I don't see why any well made watch wouldn't work just fine as long as you take a few precautions:

1. If you (and the watch you're wearing) get dunked in the stream, open up the watch case when you get home to let the movement dry to prevent it from rusting. You also may need to have it re-oiled by a qualified watchmaker if it seems to not be keeping good time.

2. Keep the watch secured to your person. Wether its a chain, a fob, or whatever, find some way of keeping the watch from falling out of your pocket.

3. Don't put anything else in the pocket that you keep your watch in.

4. No, really, don't put anything else in that pocket!

5. Get you watch serviced every couple of years by a qualified watchmaker.

My watches all keep time to within about 5 seconds a day, and I go fishing with them about once every other week- not too bad, considering the newest one I have was made in 1932. Oh, and I don't think I've paid more than $50 for any one of them. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread