+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another small shop bites the dust.

Default Another small shop bites the dust.

I guess all good things come to an end. We got a call from our friend Tom Bolender, who owns Fishy Business, a fine fishing shop on Olympia's west side, that he is closing his doors. Competition from on-line sales, big box stores and lack of new fly fishers are the reasons.

Tom, ever the optomist, has interviewed witih Cabela's (the new store is on the way) for a job in the fishing department. I really hope Cabela's has the good sense to hire Tom, who has fished in this area all his life, knows the waters and the hatches, instead of someone from Iowa (or any state) who knows nothing about local fishing.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Re: Another small shop bites the dust.

a sign of the times sad to say. I am in the market for a pontoon craft and have decided to buy from the local fly shop even though it will cost a bit more money. He has taught me some things and how much is that worth?

nighthawk Guest

Very sad indeed. I can tell you that Cabela's makes every effort to hire local folks in their fly shops. They have a small but wonderful fly shop in Hamburg, Pa. It is staffed by very friendly and knowledgeable local fly fishers. I have even been invited to go fishing with them. I think your friend stands an excellent chance of being hired. I have heard nothing but praise from their employees about the treatment the Cabela family gives them. Best wishes being sent to your friend.

Hate to hear it, Ron. But it seems to be going around. Here in the Ozarks, the indies seem to be holding their own...which is a bit ironic here in the shadow of Bass Pro Shops HQ and flagship store.

thats sad!
    I hate to see small shops put out by big crappy box stores.

Ron,

Mom and Pop businesses are the backbone of this country. Sorry to hear another closing. Hopefully your friend Tom will find a great job.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

I feel your pain Ron, we lost our local shop and now I have to drive for an hour there and an hour back to get anything flyfishing related.

I hope he gets a responsible job at Cabelas so his expertise is not lost.

By the way, I assume that the Cabela's you are referring to is the new Post Falls store. Do you know how it is coming along? Info from the cabelas website is sketchy and at least 8 months old. I am hoping that it will be open by the time I drive by post falls on my way to the Idaho FI.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee,

Construction is progressing....some hiring is being done. The last thing I read said they were going to be open in early November. There are several good, local fly shops in the Coeur d'Alene/Post Falls/Spokane area that can meet your needs if Cabela's isnt open by the time you come through. If you want specific information, PM me. Regards...
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Gnu Bee,

Nope, the new store I'm refering to is going up about 30 minutes from here in an Olympia suburb. This new one is also supposed to open in November.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

We have a small shop that just opened here in Cincinnati and I REALLY hope this guy can make a go of it. There are two other shops in the area and a Bass Pro with a fly section.

But these small shops offer something that online buying or from the big box places can't. They give local advice, they know the local waters and often times they've gone out fishing before they opened their doors for the day.

The downside is that they can't make it on selling flies alone...they also need to sell the other gear as well - and those that want the small shops around will buy their new waders through those small shops despite the fact that they might get them cheaper online. The same goes for buying everything else.

When those small shops go, we lose an important part of the fly fishing world.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

+ Reply to Thread