also ive recently been trying for bass with a specific lure on the spinning reel and ive found a lure that works AMAZINGLY . ive been working on a fly rod version of it and i think i just abou have it. the lure is a worm on a simple shaky head jig. you hook the worm through the tip and poke it out after about 1 centimeter. then you twist the worm around the hook like at about 180 degrees and then hook it again in the body just barely so the hook is just poking out of the worm. just pretty much a standard hooking setup for a worm hook but on a shaky head jig. then the secret is to just bounce it along the bottom. i just cast out and let it sink. wait about 2-3 seconds then twitch the rod tip to make it bounce alittle and come about 3 inches closer to you. just keep doing that. it takes about 3 before you have it in and need to recast. but it works GREAT then to see if youve got a hit since you arnt always able to feel when they hit, when you bounce it again feel very carefully for any added weight. when you do i do i slight hook set so if its a fish it will get hooked but if its not it will just look more appealing to the other fish by bouncing again. it imitates a worm trying to find a soft spot in the ground to burrow into. ive caught in the first week i tried this lure, i caught a 18 inch bass, a 16 in., 14, 14, 13, 12, 12, ,12 and a couple more 13 and 14 inchers. i also lost two MONSTER fish on one the worm had gotten so messed up from the other for fish that when it sucked it in the worm broke so it got away with half my worm and the other jumped up immediately and shook the hook out of its mouth. ive lost a couple others but the fish that i have caught with it make it well worth it.
ok, the fly rod version now. i havnt got a chance to fish it yet but i bet itll work.
i use a chenille worm hooked just the same way as before except on a size 1/0 worm hook, cut a split shot in half, the slice it almost in half again and then in that second slice, attach it to the line just infront of the hook.it looks about the same and is lighter and hopefully itll work the same.
so yeah thats whats worked for me. you all should try it out cus its FRIKKIN FUN