Hey Cougar,

I couldn't tell from your initial post if the cheap rig you were given is a 5/6-weight rig, or if a 5/6-weight rig is what you are thinking about upgrading to.

I'll make a guess here: what you anticipate catching the most often are (in order of frequency) panfish, smallmouth bass and trout. Which would make sense.

Panfish are far more widespread, far more numerous and generally provide the most "fun per outing" for those very reasons.

Smallmouth are less widespread, less numerous but apparently common enough where you live. They'll give you a jolt of adrenalin every time you hook one. (Don't worry, you'll survive.)

Rainbow trout in the Current River are a "sometime fish" you will try for only occasionally. Rainbows you encounter in the Current will in all likelihood be stockers recently released from the Montauk hatchery, which means they may tend to run a bit small in size? Still wonderful fish to catch, but because they've not yet grown big and powerful they don't, in my mind anyway, justify the use of 5/6-weight tackle.

So my recommendation (since you are soliciting advice) is to make your first upgrade be nothing stouter than a 3-weight. A 3-wt. will whip about any big fish you tangle with so long as you do your part correctly and have a bit of good luck with underwater rocks and snags. Also, casting a 3-wt. is easier on your body over a day's time, compared to wielding a heavier, stiffer rig.

I say all this, but do you care to guess what MY very first rig was? The rig I bought on purpose? You guessed it: a 5/6-weight!

Joe
"Better small than not at all."