That's interesting. I located the article on striper moon and read it. What he describes is similar to a technique that I learned from an experienced Sandy Hook fly fisherman last fall.

Basically, using an intermediate line, you cast out between the breakers and retrieve your line only fast enough to maintain contact with the fly. Just let your fly play in the waves. I actually did pretty well using this method with very sparsely tied clousers -- pretty well for me, anyway. He claimed that he outfished the clam soakers, and told some funny stories about their frustration when he was catching fish right in front of them. Clams are the universal bait down there because of the monstrous clam beds around Sandy Hook.

Of course, the big stripers never made it inshore last fall. There were focused on big schools of herring, and the herring never got close enough for us shore bound anglers. I saw some blitzes that must have been 10 acres in size but way out of casting range. If you had a boat, you probably had a great year.