+ Reply to Thread

Thread: streamer hackles for casting size mixed wing streamers?

Default streamer hackles for casting size mixed wing streamers?

Having done some research on this subject, I am more confused than before I started, as to what is the best type of feather to use. Having just started tying, I have only a small selection of a couple of different half saddles, and alot of low quality strung saddle. I notice that the dry fly saddles don't have feathers that posess the right amount of web, and are usually too small to tie even a size six streamer, whereas the strung saddle seems to be far to large. Neither of these feathers feature the rounded tip that is preferred either. What do you folks use for tying these types of flies. As an example of what I am attempting would be this: [url=http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/simple_streamers/:a7f58]Bergman simple streamers[/url:a7f58]. I plan to also experiment with tying smaller versions of classic Rangley streamers.

Default Re: streamer hackles for casting size mixed wing streamers?

I can usually find some pretty webby feathers on the dry fly necks I have (might be more indicative of the quality of necks I get). You can also look at the Whitings Bugger Packs. They are typically a much webbier feather and I've found them suitable for streamers. If possible try and open the packs and check the feathers for quality and sizing. I found these to be pretty variable and checking, if the vendor will let you, is the only way to insure your getting the sizes and quality your interested in. Hope that helps.
    Joe Bertolini

Joe, thank you for your reply. I will look into the bugger packs.

Try Whiting "American" hackle. The chickens are bred to produce feathers for streamers.

fishbum

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62
    ...I have only a small selection of a couple of different half saddles, and alot of low quality strung saddle. I notice that the dry fly saddles don't have feathers that posess the right amount of web, and are usually too small to tie even a size six streamer, whereas the strung saddle seems to be far to large. Neither of these feathers feature the rounded tip that is preferred either.
    Sagittariius62,

To duplicate the flies in the link, I think you'll want to consider neck hackle. I am reasonably certain that is what is shown in those photos. There isn't much web that I can see, and the feathers are broad with rounded tips...qualities I think are typically associated with the feathers you see at the sides of "lesser grade" rooster necks, be they domestic or imported.

I agree with alra195 and fishbum that the Whiting Bugger Packs and American Hackle are worth checking out for streamers. I bet calling Denny at Conranch or sending him that link would result in some excellent information and possibly a source, too.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62
    Having done some research on this subject, I am more confused than before I started, as to what is the best type of feather to use. Having just started tying, I have only a small selection of a couple of different half saddles, and alot of low quality strung saddle. I notice that the dry fly saddles don't have feathers that posess the right amount of web, and are usually too small to tie even a size six streamer, whereas the strung saddle seems to be far to large. Neither of these feathers feature the rounded tip that is preferred either. What do you folks use for tying these types of flies. As an example of what I am attempting would be this: [url=http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/simple_streamers/:398ab]Bergman simple streamers[/url:398ab]. I plan to also experiment with tying smaller versions of classic Rangley streamers.
    you should have went further into that site for the following

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/ra ... hackle.htm

explore all of the "streamer" articles

and

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/lesson6.htm

I believe that contacting the folks at Conranch is in order. In fact I am saving up to make my first order from them right now. It is time I started putting up a supply of decent hackle. Normand, The GFF article is in fact one of the documents I researched, and it was helpful. Mr Lucas' article is new to me and very helpful. Thank you.

Denny's hackle is superb and in reality not very expensive. I do recommend talking with him about what you?re looking for. I ordered some necks from him earlier this year and he really help me with decisions on what I needed. Great fellow, with a great product and a sponsor and support of FAOL to boot. How could you go wrong?
    Joe Bertolini

Yeah, I have putting aside a little each week, so I can make one big order from Denny, and buy several capes at once. The grade three stuff they have will, I'm sure, be sufficient for most of my needs. I hope to get a grizzly, a brown, a white, and a black,as well as a dun, and a badger.

+ Reply to Thread