Quote Originally Posted by wireguy1
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I had an chance to be part of the championship as controllers. I have to say that I learned alot about different methods of fly fishing stuff I may or may not try. I did comment to Heritage Angler about what effect competitive flyfishing may have on the kids future fishing. Well, that night as I walked through the hotel there were about a dozen of the kids having a blast in the pool all from various countries. I had a chance to be with a kid from Ireland, France, and The Czec Republic they were all excellent sports and though they seemed to be ultra serious, I cant remember when I hit the water that I dont take it serious. So, though it may not be for everyone I think that the chance to fish water one may never have fished if not for the competition as well as travel. As with any competitive sport it can be over done, kids playing football or basketball sometimes lose sight of the fun of it all but such is life and I doubt it will hurt them overall. I was asked by people when I went fishing in Michigan with Jack Hise, why I would drive 800 miles one way to fish for a few days. My answer was because I wanted to , it may not be something for everyone but it is how I am. So I guess I can relate to why they may want to be part of the competition.

Anyway we had a blast, got to fish some nice waters, met some new people (which can equate to free guides) and got to be part of something we thought was awsome.

Tight Lines

wireguy
I'm glad you had a good time, so don't take my posts the wrong way.

Football and basketball and baseball and tennis and badminton are competitive sports. It's unavoidable...the nature of the game. Fishing is being TURNED INTO a competitive sport for the sake of attracting attention (which is a polite way of saying $$$). And that is the difference. In football or tennis there has ALWAYS been a winner and a loser. There is no way to lose when you go fishing...unless you miss the point and create an artificial one.

Finally, I have no problem with a couple of guys informally betting a round of beers or hamburgers or whatever on who catches the most or biggest fish today. And that's competition in fishing. But it is not ORGANIZED, institutionalized, and structured competition. Why can't these sponsors pony up some cash to send a dozen American kids to the Czech Republic or Russia or Patagonia or wherever to fish once in awhile WITHOUT trophies, winners, and losers? Fishing is a recreational past-time by nature, not a sport. And fly fishing has always been a collegial, cooperative, and comparatively non-competitive affair...until recently. I fear we may be risking the very heart and soul of fly fishing for a bit of publicity designed to expand markets for a few manufacturers, fishing lodges, fly shops, etc. And if the indy fly shops think this is going to be good for business, they are sadly mistaken. When the Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's Warehouses, Cabelas, and Gander Mountains get into the game; it's "game over" for the little guys! This is about big business. And I, for one, don't trust it. Around here, we know all too well what kinds of stuff comes with fishing tournaments. We have trout tournaments around here every month and a bass tournament almost every weekend. And for those who choose NOT to pay the entrance fee, but who want to fish the public water anyway, it can be a real nightmare. For what? So a few rich guys can get a little richer? No thanks!