+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth Fly Fishing Championship

Default Re: Youth Fly Fishing Championship

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I had an chance to be part of the championship as controllers. I have to say that I learned alot about different methods of fly fishing stuff I may or may not try. I did comment to Heritage Angler about what effect competitive flyfishing may have on the kids future fishing. Well, that night as I walked through the hotel there were about a dozen of the kids having a blast in the pool all from various countries. I had a chance to be with a kid from Ireland, France, and The Czec Republic they were all excellent sports and though they seemed to be ultra serious, I cant remember when I hit the water that I dont take it serious. So, though it may not be for everyone I think that the chance to fish water one may never have fished if not for the competition as well as travel. As with any competitive sport it can be over done, kids playing football or basketball sometimes lose sight of the fun of it all but such is life and I doubt it will hurt them overall. I was asked by people when I went fishing in Michigan with Jack Hise, why I would drive 800 miles one way to fish for a few days. My answer was because I wanted to , it may not be something for everyone but it is how I am. So I guess I can relate to why they may want to be part of the competition.

Anyway we had a blast, got to fish some nice waters, met some new people (which can equate to free guides) and got to be part of something we thought was awsome.

Tight Lines

wireguy

Quote Originally Posted by wireguy1
    Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I had an chance to be part of the championship as controllers. I have to say that I learned alot about different methods of fly fishing stuff I may or may not try. I did comment to Heritage Angler about what effect competitive flyfishing may have on the kids future fishing. Well, that night as I walked through the hotel there were about a dozen of the kids having a blast in the pool all from various countries. I had a chance to be with a kid from Ireland, France, and The Czec Republic they were all excellent sports and though they seemed to be ultra serious, I cant remember when I hit the water that I dont take it serious. So, though it may not be for everyone I think that the chance to fish water one may never have fished if not for the competition as well as travel. As with any competitive sport it can be over done, kids playing football or basketball sometimes lose sight of the fun of it all but such is life and I doubt it will hurt them overall. I was asked by people when I went fishing in Michigan with Jack Hise, why I would drive 800 miles one way to fish for a few days. My answer was because I wanted to , it may not be something for everyone but it is how I am. So I guess I can relate to why they may want to be part of the competition.

Anyway we had a blast, got to fish some nice waters, met some new people (which can equate to free guides) and got to be part of something we thought was awsome.

Tight Lines

wireguy
    I'm glad you had a good time, so don't take my posts the wrong way.

Football and basketball and baseball and tennis and badminton are competitive sports. It's unavoidable...the nature of the game. Fishing is being TURNED INTO a competitive sport for the sake of attracting attention (which is a polite way of saying $$$). And that is the difference. In football or tennis there has ALWAYS been a winner and a loser. There is no way to lose when you go fishing...unless you miss the point and create an artificial one.

Finally, I have no problem with a couple of guys informally betting a round of beers or hamburgers or whatever on who catches the most or biggest fish today. And that's competition in fishing. But it is not ORGANIZED, institutionalized, and structured competition. Why can't these sponsors pony up some cash to send a dozen American kids to the Czech Republic or Russia or Patagonia or wherever to fish once in awhile WITHOUT trophies, winners, and losers? Fishing is a recreational past-time by nature, not a sport. And fly fishing has always been a collegial, cooperative, and comparatively non-competitive affair...until recently. I fear we may be risking the very heart and soul of fly fishing for a bit of publicity designed to expand markets for a few manufacturers, fishing lodges, fly shops, etc. And if the indy fly shops think this is going to be good for business, they are sadly mistaken. When the Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's Warehouses, Cabelas, and Gander Mountains get into the game; it's "game over" for the little guys! This is about big business. And I, for one, don't trust it. Around here, we know all too well what kinds of stuff comes with fishing tournaments. We have trout tournaments around here every month and a bass tournament almost every weekend. And for those who choose NOT to pay the entrance fee, but who want to fish the public water anyway, it can be a real nightmare. For what? So a few rich guys can get a little richer? No thanks!

Silver,
    Believe me that I once shared your concern and feelings toward this event. As I became more involved with it, I knew just how wrong I was about this particular event. While I may not feel as strongly about an adult level event, this one was different because it was all about the kids. I'd just like to share with you some bits and pieces of what I saw.
    After the opening ceremony (think Olympics, and you get the idea of what this event was modeled after), I saw the team from the Czech Republic outside the stadium off to the side, and by themselves. They looked a little overwhelmed by the vastness of the Penn State facilities as they looked around. I approached them and spoke with one of the coaches in English. I told him that my father was born in his country, and gave him the name of the small town where he was born. His face lit up, as he lives not far from there! He called the rest of the team around him, and they were all excited to learn that they had met someone with roots in their homeland. We became instant friends, and it seemed to put them at ease with their surroundings.
    Most of these kids don't have the vast quantity of public waters available to them in their homelands that we often take for granted here. In the Czech Rebublic, for example, many of the public rivers and streams are polluted with sewage, as they don't have the sewage treatment facilities and regulations that we have in this country. It is not uncommon to see a "brown trout" (think Baby Ruth) float by while you net a fish. When the flooding on the Little Juniata river occured back in 2004, many used tires were washed in to the river from an upstream junkyard - they are a common sight in the woods bordering the river. A Czech kid asked me "Why are these here in the middle of such a paradise?" I explained that we are still cleaning up after the flood, but it made me think how these people treasure what we take for granted.
    Only a few yards downstream from where we fished on the Little Juniata River is the section of river that has become infamous as the home of the Spring Ridge Club. Many of you have heard of Donny Beaver's attempt to close off the river on what has been legally declared public water. A young man from England and I were having a conversation about this. In his country, most all the rivers are private water, and are pay to fish. Kids can't just grab their rods and head down to the water to fish anytime they want like they do here. He marvelled at the beauty and quality of our public waters, and said he hoped we would fight to keep them open and available for everyone to enjoy. Public access is the biggest threat to our waters here in the US, and these kids are very aware of the battle we are fighting, and they will fight in the future. He understood it all to well.
    I saw a young man from Canada lose a fly in an overhead branch and have his leader turn into a hopeless tangle. He had to cut it off and retie the whole thing. Rather than just dump the tangled mess in to the river, he waded across the river and asked his controller to hold on to the bird's nest for him rather than risk dropping it in to the river by accident. This occured in the middle of his timed fishing session. His concern for the environment took precedence over his desire to compete. This concern for the environment is typical of what these kids were taught at this event.
    Early in session one, I saw two women and a man searching for a way to get through the "jungle" that borders the Little Juniata. The locals call this area "Vietnam", as the vegetation is so thick, you almost need a machete to get through to the river. I approached them and soon discovered they were from Spain, and spoke next to no English. After a rather frustrating attempt at communication, I was finally able to understand that they wanted to get to the river to watch one of the Spanish kids fish. I tried to lead them down to the beat where he was fishing, but they simply weren't willing to wade/brushbust to get there. Later that day during the next session, I saw one of the women again searching frantically along the edge of the road bordering the woods. She was able to somehow communicate that she wanted to see "her baby" fishing there. I was bound and determined to get her to where she could watch her son fish. I held back weeds, thorny vines, branches and brush, and even carried her through mud and down steep embankments, but I got her to where her son was.I took some pictures of her son fishing, gave her my business card, and told her through crude sign language that I'd email her the photos if she gave me her email address. I later helped her husband join her. They were so grateful for the effort and time I took away from my duties as Sector Judge! Early the next morning, that man approached me and handed me a small envelope. Inside was the official pin of the Spanish Youth Team, and a pin from the Spanish national fly fishing organization. He was the president of that organization.
    In this day and age, it is comforting to know that there are a group of people from across the globe that don't hate Americans. They got to experience our hospitality and good will, and perhaps they'll spread the word when they return home. You mentioned that in any competition, there are "winners" and "losers". There were no "losers" in this event. Everyone was a winner from what they experienced, and from their enjoyment of public waters that they could only dream about where they come from. I know you haven't "seen my point", but maybe this will help you understand it. I witnessed something truly special, and many people here wouldn't understand without experiencing it firsthand. I will probably never have the chance to be involved with this type of event again, and I consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!............Ed

Link to my Photobucket album of the 2007 FIPS Mouche Youth Fly Fishing World Championships:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/ ... pionships/

I have a pretty good understanding of international events and the cultural exchange that transpires...a firsthand understanding and appreciation. This weighs into my value judgment on competitive fly fishing.

I defend your right to hold your opinion/position and to promote and defend it. I appreciate all of the reasons why. In the end analysis, we simply come down on opposite sides of the fence after careful consideration. And we can do so as gentlemen and fellow fly anglers and conservationists and youth advocates.

I think this thread gives good coverage to all aspects of the issue. And nobody got their nose bent in the process. And that's the best any discussion can be.

I've been the coach of the USA youth fly fishing team now since 1998. I officially reitred this year since my two boys are now 10 and 8 and I'd like to spend my summers totally with them in lieu of another country.

I've heard several times that the motive of fly fishing competitions is profit, fame, etc. However that could not be further from the truth. In fact participation in these events is mostly for the betterment of those that participate. "Participants" being competitors, judges, parents, and observers.

There is zero prize money, zero fame, and zero motivation for a competitor other than self improvement and education. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be gained from the other anglers in these events. All respect due to Dave and Emily Whitlock but I'm sure they'd learn a lot from attending the event. As would any angler interested in bettering their angling knowledge and network of friends.

After the event I spent the evening with two of the parents of the kids, the two coaches from team Ireland, and Joe Humphreys, his wife and daughter. We talked about how much Joe learned when he competed in the 80's and 90's. I talked with the Irish coaches about salmon fishing in their country and they asked about brown trout fishing in Arkansas. I have a real lack of knowledge when it comes to fishing Irish Lochs like Corrib. They offered at any time to take me out on the water for a day to expand my knowledge.

At the end of the event all the kids and controllers I talked with said it was one of the best experiences of their life. If there is some hidden motive there I certianly missed it.

I'll miss spending time with the young adults on the team. They are some of the finest people I've met through fly fishing. Maybe they will be able to share what they've learned with my two sons. I hope some one passes on the knowledge I learned from my father.

John Wilson

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the post and the photo album. I'm glad you and wireguy got so see things up close and personal and I'm kind of sorry I missed it.

I realize that the idea of a fly fishing competition isn't for everybody but from your photo's it sure seems that everyone enjoyed themselves.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread