I've been the coach of the USA youth fly fishing team now since 1998. I officially reitred this year since my two boys are now 10 and 8 and I'd like to spend my summers totally with them in lieu of another country.

I've heard several times that the motive of fly fishing competitions is profit, fame, etc. However that could not be further from the truth. In fact participation in these events is mostly for the betterment of those that participate. "Participants" being competitors, judges, parents, and observers.

There is zero prize money, zero fame, and zero motivation for a competitor other than self improvement and education. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be gained from the other anglers in these events. All respect due to Dave and Emily Whitlock but I'm sure they'd learn a lot from attending the event. As would any angler interested in bettering their angling knowledge and network of friends.

After the event I spent the evening with two of the parents of the kids, the two coaches from team Ireland, and Joe Humphreys, his wife and daughter. We talked about how much Joe learned when he competed in the 80's and 90's. I talked with the Irish coaches about salmon fishing in their country and they asked about brown trout fishing in Arkansas. I have a real lack of knowledge when it comes to fishing Irish Lochs like Corrib. They offered at any time to take me out on the water for a day to expand my knowledge.

At the end of the event all the kids and controllers I talked with said it was one of the best experiences of their life. If there is some hidden motive there I certianly missed it.

I'll miss spending time with the young adults on the team. They are some of the finest people I've met through fly fishing. Maybe they will be able to share what they've learned with my two sons. I hope some one passes on the knowledge I learned from my father.

John Wilson