+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Photos of Arizona Apache Trout

Default Photos of Arizona Apache Trout

I am new to this board. I am president of Payson Flycasters in Payson, Arizona. These are photos of club members and Apache trout caught and released on a recent club outing to Christmas Tree Lake on the Fort Apache Reservation in Arizona. I thought it might be interesting for those who have never seen an Apache trout before.

Default Re: Photos of Arizona Apache Trout

The photo links aren't working. Try leaving off the IMG
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Every on please bear with me.I am having problems getting my photos to appear. I will get them posted as soon as I get it right.

OK got the first photo to show, but the other two dont ?? have sent a PM to Moderator, will wait until I hear from them, and then try to post the other two photos.

I finally got all three on. It was a total brain malfunction on my part in copying the code. Anyway There they are. The Apache trout is only found in Arizona in the White Mountains, and at one time was on the endangered list. However it is now coming back strongly and is being raised in both the state and federal hatcheries in Arizona now with stockings in many streams and lakes. It is a near cousin to the Gila trout which is found only in a few streams in western New Mexico and eastern Arizona and is just now being returned from the endangered listing. These trout were the only native trout to this area prior to the white man.
    The Apache trout in Christmas Tree Lake usually run between 17 to 24 inches. The lake also contains a large population of very large Brown trout, in the same size or larger. This lake is Arizona's premium trout lake, however it runs anywhere from $30 to $250.00 per day to fish it depending on when you go.
    The Apache trout is similar looking to the Brown trout, except it doesn't have the red halos around the dark spots as the Brown trout does. It also is paler in coloring and has white edges on the fins and a dark yellow streak on the gill plate. The dorsal fin is also larger than the Brown trout.

rodbuilder,
    Thanks very much for the report and photos!! I loved seeing the close up shots of the trout!
    Welcome to the BB!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Sweet pics, looks like an incredible place to fish. Beautiful fish as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Leave No Trace

Now I know What it must look like in Fishermans heaven.Great pictures.Thanks.

Now I know What it must look like in Fishermans heaven.Great pictures.Thanks.

Beautiful fish and that looks like a gorgeous lake. Wish I could be there.
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

+ Reply to Thread