+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best flies for fall?!

1. Default Best flies for fall?!

I am new to fly fishing so i would like the best patterns for north georgia in the fall.

Default Re: Best flies for fall?!

First of all, welcome to FAOL! We are always happy to have folks your age (your name implies 13??) here and encourage you to learn as much as you can.

Second, here is the best advice I could give you. Don't just jump onto a board and ask folks for something you could easily find yourself. Do a little research. This site is filled with hundreds if not thousands of articles on fly fishing/tying as well as the BB. Use the search function, it is really easy. You may want to specify to yourself what kind of fish you're after (trout, bass, panfish, catfish, carp, saltwater....) then you need to do a little leg work. Most people your age want everything right now at your fingertips, and do not want to do a little work for it. Don't fall into that trap!!!!!!!!!

Third, even if I knew every killer pattern for Georgian specific waters, I would not tell you! Why rob you of the experience? If we all just layed out every good pattern, it would mean nothing to you. Would you understand why those flies worked so well? Would you know how to fish them? In 3 months would you even remember them?? I promise if you'll do a little research yourself (and that does not include asking on a BB) you'll be rewarded and you'll remember it. Hard work (even if it is just surfing the net for a fly pattern) is better than no work, and that is because the rewards are worth it when you work for something.

I might sound like your Dad, if so then that is good. (although I promise I am WAY younger than he is). Also, you may have been a little confused. Fly swaps are not where folks "swap" patterns. It is an organized way of people tying and swapping/sharing flies with one another. Read the threads, you'll see. This question would be better asked elsewhere.

Do a little reading or better yet ask someone in your community (like a guy/girl at a fly shop). It will mean more and you aren't likely to forget it.
    Leave No Trace

FT13YO,
    My son and I were just in TN. for a few days. While we were there we found a good fly shop and we were able to get some good advice. You don't say what part of N. Ga. you are in. I have had good experiences with two shops in that neck of the woods. Both places were friendly and helpful. One was the Four Corners Fly shop in Blairsville. The owner was most helpful to me.
    The other was Unicoi Outfitters in Helen. I booked a morning with a guide from Unicoi and it was the best investment I've ever made.

I live in Florida so trout fishing is a whole different world than anything we have down here. Unicoi has what they call a "Gilligan" trip that lasts three hours. I learned a lot in those three hours and they were most helpful.

Good luck and tight lines,
    Rusty <><

Also, this is the swap forum, please go to the tying part of the forum. And on the homepage, look at the fly of the week for lots of good patterns. look around your area, ask local shop's and do some research your self. Anyway, how are we supossed to know what you are fishing for?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I couldn't tell you anyway because you didn't say what you were going to fish for, or where. I live in N. Ga.

Ask me again on the Warm Water Board.

I've never fished in Georgia but I did a web search and got some info for you. I had to pretend I knew where you were fishing and for what species so I pretended you were on the Chattahoochee looking for trout. Try some beadhead Pheasant Tail nymphs and Hare's Ear Nymphs, Blue-winged Olives, Parachute Adams, and Griffith's Gnats (small). There must be some sort of Stonefly that hatches in the fall, too. And as the weather gets cooler and/or the fish get smarter, try some midges (zebra, black thread, red beadhead).

But that's just a wild guess.

Maybe a moderator could move this thread to another forum for you.

7. Default Re: Best flies for fall?!

you actually guessed correct me and my dad go every month up there so thanks a bunch!!!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Quote Originally Posted by flytying13yearold
    you actually guessed correct me and my dad go every month up there so thanks a bunch!!!
    Then you definitely want a good supply of Pheasant Tail Nympths and Adams. Helgramite patterns work well, also. I do real good with Wooley Buggers in the Chattahootchie.

Good Luck

Dude, This question is for fly anglersonline part or the fly tying part.......not this board.

+ Reply to Thread