Quote Originally Posted by leadeyedbugger
I just got back from fishing the park a couple weeks ago. At that time there was a voluntary closure on selected waters from noon to 5pm. I think the last day we were there some of them went to mandatory. We went properly equiped aka. we carried thermometers with us to take water temp readings. Some of the waters in the voluntary closure should have been mandatory...with the morning temps in the 70's. other waters would have midday temps in the low 60's.....not very consistant anaylsis by the park i thought. Another thing, i have no idea how people find out about these closures if they are in the park???? We knew from the internet before we left and heard of the mandatory at a fly shop the day before we left. However, the rangers at the gate never mentioned anything about it, there were no signs anywhere that we say about it, how the heck are people supposed to know???? We saw alot of people, especially on the madison in the park fishing mid afternoon during the closure, all it took was us stopping and letting them know what was going on and what effect it has on the fish and most of them quit, thanking us for letting them know of the closures.
You must have a valid Park fishing license when fishing within the park and since 99% of those fishing the park are not coming in fishing off a season license previously purchased they need to buy a license. When they buy their license they are handed a paper that highlights the closures. While spending some time shopping in the various stores within the park I saw folks buying licenses and all were told of the closures and handed a paper outlining them. So most should have known what was going on. Good to hear that those you talked to were good enough to stop fishing when alerted to the closures.