+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going from a WF4 to a DT4 line...

Default Going from a WF4 to a DT4 line...

I'm going to change out the line on my Teton #4 to a DT line. I emailed Teton last week and asked the question, but no one ansered.

Anyway, how much backing do I add or remove to go from WF to DT? Teton states that the #4 holds 65 yards of 20# backing with WF4F.

Is there a general rule of thumb for this?

Regards,
    Jeff2

Default Re: Going from a WF4 to a DT4 line...

The ONLYway to get it exact is to put your fly line on and then fill what space is left over with backing. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but, this stuff is supposed to be fun. Once you determine the exact amount of backing, reverse the whole works.

There's no rule of thumb. It will depend on: the length of the two lines; the relative diameters of the two lines (different brands and models will vary in thickness); and how much room you want on your spool between the line and frame when fully loaded. Most WF lines in the smaller sizes are about 90ft (assuming you didn't shorten the running line from the rear), but a number of light DT lines are 80-82ft. A 90ft DT line is going to eat up some room. Offhand, I'd guess you could probably get about 40-50yds of backing on with the switchover, but the safest way to do this is to remove the backing, spool the line, add backing until you're comfortable with the line/frame spacing, remove all of it, and reverse. The other way is to cut the backing about 10yds at a time, reel up the line and check--keep doing this until you are happy with the result. If you feel you need more backing for your fishing (unlikely with a 4wt), you can switch to gel-spun or 12-15lb dacron--or get a bigger reel.
    -CC

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    The ONLYway to get it exact is to put your fly line on and then fill what space is left over with backing. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but, this stuff is supposed to be fun. Once you determine the exact amount of backing, reverse the whole works.
    This I'm going to agree with 110%. Unless you go to a shop that can spool it for you.
    It'll probably be 25 yards less with DT than WF. It also depends on if you get 12# or 20# dacron. If you use gel spun, you'll get a lot on it.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

gel spun cuts the crap outta your fingers.
    and its way overkill for a 4wt!

Something to factor in...at least for me....when you are spooling the line and backing there is a tendency to spool it on neatly and tightly...then in the fishing situation [at least I do] tend to wind it on looser and less neatly....it can end up too much that way...unless you allow for it...I guess you could call it "the slop factor".

If you get into this.....Here's a picture of a winder that a fellow FAOLer came up with....it's in the tips section...the drill adaptation is my own.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    gel spun cuts the crap outta your fingers.
    and its way overkill for a 4wt!
    I'm going to partially disagree with you there. I have it on 6 of my spools. Never bothered my fingers. And I like the strength. Stillwater fishing I sometime go 25' into the backing. Not by a fish, but line out.
    But I'll agree gel is overkill for a 4w- I also think more than 75'-90' of backing on a 4w is overkill in most circumstances.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

+ Reply to Thread