+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Building DVD?

Blog Entries

Default Rod Building DVD?

Are rods as easy to build as the dvd's show? I recieved my kits today with my dvd's and took a peek at one of them. Looks easy as pie.

Just curious if that is the case. What do you all think? I still need to purchase a few more things from the hardware store before I start my build.

Thanks a lot,
    Shane

Default Re: Rod Building DVD?

Its not as easy as the video might show because the person in the video has built many rods and has had a lot of practice. Having said that, building a rod is not hard. Line out the steps, and practice such things as wrapping and you can build a rod if you are halfway coordinated with your hands. The second one will be better. Don't over spend on fancy tools - if you have some shop tools you may have all you need to do the job. If you can find someone locally it will be helpful. Good luck!

Hello OttoDita, well when I went to 'rod building' school many moons ago, I was not just a little surprised at how easy it was and I began cranking out rods like there was no tomorrow. Before that I always thought the rod builders were master craftsman...I'm sure some of them were but in no time I was making rods that looked better than anything at the local sporting goods store. (Which wasn't saying much at that time, but still) I'd say you'll have really good luck since you have a DVD and will be able to review before each step of the process ! Have fun !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by Arkriver
    Its not as easy as the video might show because the person in the video has built many rods and has had a lot of practice. Having said that, building a rod is not hard. Line out the steps, and practice such things as wrapping and you can build a rod if you are halfway coordinated with your hands. The second one will be better. Don't over spend on fancy tools - if you have some shop tools you may have all you need to do the job. If you can find someone locally it will be helpful. Good luck!
    Good advice. To that I would add to take your time and "dry fit" everything before you glue any components like the grip and reel seat. Also, allow at least 24 hours for glues to dry, even if they say "20 minute epoxy." That's just the time elapsed until you can handle the component, but you have to read labels to determine the full "cure time" before moving to the next step. Alignment of the reel seat is important after determining the "spine" of the rod. I don't spine my rods any more, but assemble them for straightness and put the guides on the inside of the natural curve. I'm certain someone will have a dissenting opinion on this, but my rods all cast true so that's good enough for me, especially on 4-piece rods.

Good luck, it really is just an effort in patience, with a bit of skill thrown in. If you take your time you can put out an excellent product with your first effort. If you have an old rod or arrow shaft, those make good practice sticks for winding. Follow the DVD, the directions here on FAOL at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/ , and by all means don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here had a "first build" and we are all willing to help you through yours.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Well I think this thread may have led me down another road less traveled like FF and tying has in general. Just opened that link and think in that the B-day present I haven't bought for my self may get ordered soon in the form of my first blank. Wish me luck guess Ill need to find a little more space around here.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Good luck jjtroutbum and if you need help just ask. Someone will have an answer I'm sure !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread