If you mend upstream until it's quartering downstream, of course most strikes (that you are aware of) will occur on the rise. But you are probably missing a LOT of takes. If I am fishing a soft hackle as an emerger pattern (in the film or just below...first foot of water below the surface), I cast straight across to quartering downstream and allow the current to pull a belly into the line immediately. Then I gently keep that tension to a minimum by tracking with the rod tip to control it. This gives me a tight-line presentation all the way through the drift (or swing), and ALL strikes are noticeable. At the end of the drift, allow the line and leader to straighten out in the current and dangle for up to 1 minute. This naturally causes the fly to rise repeatedly. I do NOT usually strip at all.

For a soft hackle nymph, fish just like any other nymph pattern. But do not assume fish will not take on the swing at the end of the drift and allow the fly to dangle in the current for a bit before retrieving it. Stripping beaded or weighted soft hackle nymphs after the dangle IS a good idea. These flies ride deeper in the water column even on the dangle, and stripping 1-3" at a time often gives them the action of a rising nymph that is beginning to emerge...a virtually irresistible morsel to any self-respecting fish. FYI, a direct upstream to quartering upstream presentation is the BEST with soft hackle nymphs. This is when the nymph gets the most life-like motion. But it is also the hardest way to control slack and set hooks on takes because your line and fly are coming back toward you on the current. The faster the current, the tougher the challenge.

As for using them at Bennett, I will say the following:

1. Fish on weekdays.
2. Find the least crowded water possible. There are fish everywhere. So avoid the crowds if at all possible.
3. LEARN TO ROLL CAST WELL.
4. Use a shorter fly rod.