Today I went fishing at a place called Gerber Reservoir which is southeast of Klamath Falls, Oregon. The weather was great, the fish were active and the bay I was fishing in was deserted except for me and the wildlife. After catching about 65 yellow perch, some fairly good size, I decided a break was in order and opened a can of Pepsi and got out the binoculars to watch the local animals. Saw a doe & fawn antelope, two bald eagles, the usual osprey and lots of waterfowl, but the crown jewel of the trip was watching a heron with the glasses. The bird was a couple of hundred yards away and I noticed a large splash by the bird. The heron came up with a bullhead which looked maybe a foot long. I figured that the poor bird would choke if tried to swallow that fish. The heron took the fish up to the bank and started beating it against some rock. After about 5 minutes of this the fish quited down. The Heron went on with this ritual plus pecking and throwing the fish around for more than 30 minutes. There were a couple of gulls watching, but they didn't get very close. I guess that heron is one mean dude. The heron was still working with that catfish when I left. All in all a great day. Hope yours was the same.

Tim