+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes on the water

Default Snakes on the water

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've been here and it's been waaaay too long since I've been on the water. Me family and I are on vacation right now in E. TN.
    My son caught his first wild trout this morning on the Hiawassee River without the aid of a guide or any assistance from anyone else. I think he has now caught the fever.

After he had caught two small browns the water lever started to come up due to a generator coming online so we picked up and moved downstream a few miles. At our new downstream position he was shortly surprised by a copperhead swimming downstream. The snake came within about two feet of him before both were surprised beyond belief. He did a magnificent job at his first attempt of the copperhead two step. He went one way the snake went the other...perfect choreography if ever I've seen it.
    After the dance was over he asked me how often that happens. I've personally never had it happen to me and I was just wondering if anyone else has had a like experience.

Thanks,
    Rusty <><

Default Re: Snakes on the water

Hello shirleybug, welcome back to the board and good for your son on his first wild trout ! Well, we don't have copperheads and water moccassins where I am but we have rattlers and garters and other snakes that seem to like to swim. I always get a good laugh when a good sized garter gets real close unexpectedly, like if I'm stepping in the stream and out flashes the snake from under some overhanging vegetation or other. I've only seen the rattlers swimming but not just once or twice, actually a number of times. I wasn't close enough to be in any danger but I would imagine if 'cornered' in the water so to speak, the rattler or other vipers as in your area, would have to strike. I carry a wading staff most always and the garters are easy to just lift out of the way at the times when they seem to be blindly coming right towards me. Can't wait to see other's replies !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Excellent job, with the fish and the snake.
    I almost tripped over a rattler, a number of years back, when fishing a small brook in the area. He was sunning himself on a foot path and I was just about to step down , when I saw him. I've never jumped that high in my life! When I came back through, he was gone.

We usually expect to see snakes on the trails and such. Being from Florida it's also second nature to look for alligators. It was just that it was a surprise to see the snake in the water up here.
    A wading staff would have been a definite help. I must admit I only thought of them in terms of keeping ones footing and balance while wading, This was an epiphany.

Rusty <><

Oops...I should have noticed the "rusty" sig. Anyway, yeah, the wading staff has come in handy for a lot of things...getting the fly from high branches, wading of course, hiking up and down banks, saved my fav hat from washing downriver once and almost as importantly as the aforementioned, warding off all sorts of critters over the years, including but not limited to snakes, a crazed wild turkey that was talons out, screaming bloody murder and coming at my face and this is the clincher, a pack of 'running wild' domestic dogs that were coming for me with murder in their eyes. Hope I din't take away too much from the intent of your post rusty !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    After the dance was over he asked me how often that happens. I've personally never had it happen to me and I was just wondering if anyone else has had a like experience.
    Not on the Hiawassee River although I have fished that river many times when our family had property up there. A fishbud and me were on Popcorn Creek and we had to do the Copperhead two-step on that creek. Snake decided to take a downstream swim off of the log it was on. It happened quite a bit on those Georgia mountain streams to me and believe me, Georgia has a good supply of Copperheads and in no danger of running out any time soon. Be very careful when moving logs or rocks up there. The snakes like to hide under them. We were just thankful the snake went between us and not through the wickets . Glad your son is alright.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Holy cow...MM ....it's dangerous where you live ...of course you are "South"

Well I don't know Duck, dangerous? I guess it's all relative.

The grand and glorious part of the whole trip is the fact that Jr. has been bitten by the bug. Now it's up to me to feed it. Strike while the iron is hot.

Anybody know where I can find a trout bum hat?

Rusty <><

trout bum hat?
    do you mean that says trout bum on it?

I believe it was Darwin Atkins who told his story of breaking a brand new sage rod in six pieces trying to scare a rattler from his float tube on Lake Success.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

+ Reply to Thread