+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tying Tools - where are they?

Default New Tying Tools - where are they?

Now I am not an expert in the field of fly tying nor fly fishing, but I wonder about tying tools.

Where are the new tool innovations? Inventions?

As I browse online catalogs, clutch my money in fly shops, I search for that tool that will be the "end all" of my tying tool collection - but I don't seem to find any!

Am I wrong? Have we created/invented all there is to fly tying tools?

Think about this, has anyone truly come up with a unique tool lately (past 3 to 5 years) that turned the tying world on it's ear? Is all we do now just a redesign of existing ideas?

Thoughts?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Default Re: New Tying Tools - where are they?

Why do we need new tying tools---I learned to tie holding the hook in my fingers. Only one tool a scissor..........BILL

hmm, don't we have pretty much all there is already?

i mean the only new thing i see now is different finishes on scissors.
    or a midge bobbin here and there.

the one thing i cant think of that really has been awesome in the last years is rotary hackle pliers. i haveapair that i love! dr.slick's with a half-hitch built right into the bottom.

anyways, you better get thinking and hit the patent office, you could be the next person to invent a must have tool. That all of us fly-fishers who have to have everything, will buy!

"hmm, don't we have pretty much all there is already?"

Chris...I really have to tell you ...I hate to see someone your age with that attitude...you are the future...and I'm not talking only fly fishing.....

ducksterman,

i dont have that thought about anything else in life.
    my outlook goes:anything is possible, new ideas are always happening.

i guess i just made another unthinking remark, like most of us teenagers do

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    ducksterman,

i dont have that thought about anything else in life.
    my outlook goes:anything is possible, new ideas are always happening.

i guess i just made another unthinking remark, like most of us teenagers do
    flyandtie...I find myself following your posts often as a grandfather... and thinking in terms of grandfatherly advice and often in terms of grandfatherly praise...and once in awhile I'd like to really get your attention...you seem worth it to me

thank you ducksterman.
    its people liek you that are what make up the goodness of faol.

Kind of reminds me of what the head of the US Patent Office said in 1899. He said-this office will probably close before long as just about everything has been invented.

Dave

Seems to me there isn't one tool specifically made for fly tying. Most of the tools have come from other hobbies that are then tweeked for our use. You want a new innovative tool for fly tying? Don't ask flytyers, ask children how they'd do it.

Now that's innovative thought. Maybe we should be teaching 4 through 10 year olds how to tie flies as part of an 'art class' in schools. We could then take their innovative ideas and really stir the pot about fly design, color combinations, tool design!

That's kind of my point, what has really been innovative in the past few years. Nothing. Sure, new twists on old ideas/tools.

I try to spur the folks I work with by asking "how can we look at this differently", "what are we not seeing when we look at this".

Now, there is nothing wrong with the tools we have, with the ideas we have proven with the test of time, but just think of what we may be missing? Maybe someone has tinkered with a tool that needs to be brought to the market?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread