+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing

Default Re: Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint
    Flygodddess, did you say a 13+ 4wt.? Tell me more!

I wish I could tell you more, but like I said, they are not out on the market yet. I don't think it will be long however.
    I ascked DEC about an extra tip like the ECHO 2 realizing that the extra tip on a SPEY would be exactly that....an extra tip (not two different actions like on the 2).
    He thought that was a great idea, specially packing around a rod that long. It would definitely make the people happy.
    Don't quote me but I think I heard a $400. price being mentioned.

A 4wt. spey rod would be awesome!!! I've been using an 11' 5wt. TFO spey, for the smallies, and it's a blast! The four would be sweet. Did he mention what type of action they would be? He designed FlyLogic's spey rods and i've heard they're more traditional. I like the med. fast Skagit or fast Scandy rods, personally. I can't wait to see what they come up with. Have you tried any of the new TFO, Meiser designed, spey's yet?
    I forgot about that one, Marty. They are real smooth. Kurt has one of the smaller sizes and I was really suprised by how nice it was.

A 4wt two hander would be pretty intense. I just want to try out the two tip models. They have one tip for presentation, and one for (i guess) high line speed. I suppose the latter would be a bit stiffer?? I'm not sure, but I want to cast one to see if there really is a noticeable difference.

While we are on the subject of gear...What about line? Do you guys usually use something with a sinking tip, full sink, floating??

Quote Originally Posted by GBurgFisher
    A 4wt two hander would be pretty intense. I just want to try out the two tip models. They have one tip for presentation, and one for (i guess) high line speed. I suppose the latter would be a bit stiffer?? I'm not sure, but I want to cast one to see if there really is a noticeable difference.

While we are on the subject of gear...What about line? Do you guys usually use something with a sinking tip, full sink, floating??

I am trying to remember everything DEC said on line so hopefully some spey casters will jump in. The line is VERY important. Dec said he had a client go out and buy a 6/7 Spey rod and bought matching line. They both tried to cast it and found it most difficult. Dec said he should have gone with the 7/8 line in that Spey is all about the GRAIN. The new Dec Signature series by ECHO has the Grain listed on the rod rather than a weight like a normal one handed rod. He also said he use to splice several lines together, but they are now being Factory Manufactured. For the most part he uses a floating line with different lengths of leader but does use sink tips with a VI being the most used.

A little note, which I found useful, was he said to take a nine foot piece of heavy stiff mono, cut into about 1 foot sections and connected with a BLOOD/Barrel Knot , leave the tags a little long forming what is going to look like Barb Wire. This will make a leader for practicing casting on the LAWN. A little resistance......COOL!

The line weight, in terms of grain, has always been a big problem for matching up to the spey rods. It's only been in the last couple of years that some sort of "standard" has come about. RIO, has a listing of most of the spey rods out there and the lines that work best. They give 2 ways of running it. The first, is for experienced casters or for higher line speeds, the other for less experienced casters and a little slower tempo. Before the major manufacturer's came out with line designations, most people used either heavy DT lines or, like Flygoddess said, built their own. My first spey, was a 12'6" Orvis and it took a while to find a line that worked on it. Fortunately, the tackle industry has been making it much easier.
    GBurg, I usually use floating lines for most of my salmon/steelie fishing. Our streams and rivers aren't all that deep, so the floaters work well. For versatility, you can run mini-sink tips or sinking leaders, in place of an actual sink tip line. The fly lines I like best for SS fishing are, Rio's, Clouser and Salmon Steelhead lines. They handle weight very well and mend easily.

I fish almost exclusively for steelhead and salmon out West. I use a 9' 8 wt and a 10' 8 wt. Salmon can overtax these without a really good reel. A salmon can easily take 100 yards of line out. I generally use a Martin Mod 72 which is a 3:1 multiplier with about 2' per wind. I find you need that to keep up with an incoming salmon. The reel is quite inexpensive at about $35.

I would use my steelhead rig for salmon fishing, Sage VT2 8wt 9'6", as it is the biggest rod I have.

The SR is a zoo during the salmon run, I haven't fished the fly only section but in Pulaski, it is shoulder to shoulder during the tournament.
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

believe me-i live there it is worst in the so called fly only zones-and absoulutely no-one really fly fishing??

I fish mostly for Atlantic Salmon and the occasional smallmouth bass and speckled trout. I only have one rod, a St. Croix Avid 908, 9 foot, 8 weight with a Teton Tioga reel. It has 175 yards of backing on it with the fly line. I do change up the leaders for the different fish, but I find it works well, a little heavy for the trout, good for the big bass poppers and salmon flies. You can fish all day and not get tired with it and the reel has a beautiful drag.

Dwight

Whatever rod you get, I feel the reel is the most important item. I am strongly in favor of a multiplier with a return of two feet per wind with a great drag like the Martin star drag. It is only about $35 and only draw back is open gears you must keep away from sand. If you get a non-multiplier, get as large a diameter as you can which increases the return distance per wind.

+ Reply to Thread