+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing

Default Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing

Describe your perfect set up for me. I will be fishing on the east coast, mostly in NY. Last year I took a 9ft 8wt with a pretty light reel. I felt very under matched. I'm thinking if I stay with an 8wt, at the least, I had better get something with a decent drag. Being a trout fisherman, I rarely worry about that type of thing. I normally get to see my backing only when changing lines. Just curious to hear everyone?s 2cs.

Default Re: Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing

GBurgFisher, you're fishing in my neck of the woods. I'm a steelhead junkie, but I do fish the kings, usually up on the SR. I use to fish a lot of the other Lake O tribs for them, but the crowds got to be too much.
    I have a few "perfect" set ups, depending on the size stream/river. When fishing the SR, I like a stout 12'6"-13' 8wt. spey rod, with a well balanced, smooth, fast reel. For the single handers an 8-9 wt rod, preferably in the 10' range. I like the longer sticks for mending/drifting purposes.
    It won't be long now!

Yes sir, definitly in your neck of the woods. Would you agree with the following statement. "lighter rods need better reels with better drags".

This has kind of been a conversation between a buddy and I, and I want to know if he is spot on.

I can't wait to try again this year. It was great to get up there last year, but this year I'm catching something because I'm not going alone and I'm not going net-less.

In this context, I would agree with that. If you're using a lighter line rod then you don't have as much muscle for those bigger fish, so you would be using the reel and it's drag to compensate for it. A smooth drag is a must for those fish and preferably one that brings in line quick, too.
    I think you still need a stronger rod when fishing rivers like that one, due to the strong flows. A twenty to thirty pound fish gets out in those rapids and suddenly it's a fifty-sixty pound fish. lol.
    I know your pain! I've lost more than my share up there. How often do you make it up here?

GBF-

we should caravan or car pool up sometime. I am attempting to sour my marriage by just such outings!!! LOL

Marty

Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Dec Hogan author of "Passion For Steelhead" and a master of Spey. He is also helping the new rod company by Raejeff (Cool rods by the way) come out with a SPEY line. He had several proto Echo's there, so I got to play around with a 13'+ 4wt and a 13+' 7wt. Got the Roll down and the Basic "D" cast and had a blast.

These things require very little energy to cast once you get both hands in the right place and the fly in the ANCHOR ZONE.

I was picking 70+' of line off the water and recasting with unbelievable accuracy.

Based on how easy these are to cast, and how pin point accuracy can be achieved, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for them to be introduced to the public.

pspaint. I've only been up once; last year. It was kind of a suicide run. Up on Thursday night, fish all day Friday, then a five hour drive home. I was very much out of my league...didn't really know what I was getting myself into gear wise. It was funny. At about noon, I realized that I would have a heck of time landing one alone and net-less. It was kind of funny in that "what exactly was I expecting" kind of way. I've got at least one trip up on the books with buddy of mine that goes up there every year...should be a much different experience with someone who actually knows what they are doing.

MFT. I would definitely be up for some carpooling. I remember all of those winter posts showing you and paint with some monster steelhead...I think anyone would be crazy not to come along. You still in Baltimore? Have you been up to beaver in a while...I haven't been all season and was thinking about giving it a look since a lot of the water around me seems pretty tepid.

FG- I am also interested in taking a look at those echo rods....particularly their two tip models for freshwater. That type of things makes more sense to me for something like a two hander...but for a 3wt? Needless to say I want to take a look.

so about the reel...specifically....what would you guys suggest. I've never been that concerned with drag (for my trout streams), so any suggestions would be helpful.

GBurgFisher, I like all the Echo's. I fished a portion of the Snake once. I forgot my waders so was fishing from shore with a fair clearance behind me. Even casting 60' I was coming up short of a honey hole. With this 13'6" rod I would have been able to not only cast (SPEY) better with the fair clearing, but I know I could have got the extra 15' to 20' of line out, plus a better drift.
    The Snake is the river I am concerned with and I do fish it often, that is why I am thinking a 6wt.

As far as reels, I would personally look at a ROSS or GALVIN. Have heard horror stories about LAmson, but I sure like them.

Definitely take Marty up on the offer! We'll give ya the great lakes tour! You're welcome, any time. I'm also helping Marty destroy his marriage by being the little devil on his shoulder that says FISH! FISH! lol. As far as reels, what size rod will you be running? Flygoddess's selection is an excellent one (I love my Lami's too!), also, if price is an obstacle, the Tioga's are excellent reels and pretty much bomb proof.
    Flygodddess, did you say a 13+ 4wt.? Tell me more!

One other consideration should be the Pflueger Trion. You could run it over with a tank and it would break the treads. They're made to last! Also very inexpensive and I hear the drag is pretty darn good.

+ Reply to Thread