Quote Originally Posted by ludeboy_77
Hello All,

I am going on a camping trip soon to Kings River outside of Reedley CA, I have not fished in a long time and decided to try some fly fishing while I was up there. I got a 5 weight pole and line and have read most of the 101 stuff (great reading) but I am unsure if the #5 will be enough for the river. Any thoughts or ideas with relation to where I am going?

Thanks

Mike

If you are camping in Reedley, then you are at the very downstream end of what could be considered "trout water". They plant trout at the Cricket Hollow picnic area/boat ramp. It's only in the summer you can catch trout, while the flows are high for irrigation. Rest of the year, it's low, and a warmwater fishery. The planted trout do not survive after the flows are ramped back down. Flows will be high, so watch out for the deep spots. The bottom is almost entirely sand in the Reedley area, so it's pretty easy wading. Upstream of Reedley, below the Pine Flat dam would be a better bet for trout fishing. But like I said, some fish are planted on a regular basis down there. Oh, by the way, a 5wt will be fine.

briansII