+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NC Foothills/Smallies

Default NC Foothills/Smallies

The lack of rain in our part of the country has made a noticeable difference in all bodies of water. I live relatively close to a river where smallmouth can be caught. The last time I saw this river so low was several years ago during a really bad drought. I got in the water and made my way slowly to a run that dropped off into 3 feet of water. I was fishing a white streamer which I hoped would emulate some of the small baitfish. I started out catching 3 fish on my first five casts and then things simmered down a bit. I fished for about 3 hours, maybe a little less. I did try a clouser for a while but had no takes. I also tried a white gurgle-pop and caught my nicest smallie of the evening -- but that was the only one. I switched back to my little white streamer and caught several more before getting out of the river. I really thought the last 45 minutes would have been prime time to fish the topwater -- it was cloudy, light drizzle, and no wind. But the fish just didn't want it. All in all, a very pleasant afternoon of fishing. Fish count was somewhere in the mid teens and I hooked up/missed several others.

Greg

Default Re: NC Foothills/Smallies

Greg, You are right about our foothills rivers and creeks water levels being low. I've been fishing western NC, VA, Eastern TN and Southern WV. Until I saw your post I had forgotten about what used to be a great trout fiashing area; "South Mtn State Park". With out giving away any of your secrets could you tell me if you have fished there lately and are there still viable trout producing waters there?
    That would make my weekends a lot easier. Now I am driving from three to six hours for 10 or 12 hours on the water but I could be in the South Mtn. area in about 90 minutes.
    Tom
    We don't quit fishing because we get old, we get old because we quit fishing.

+ Reply to Thread