The lack of rain in our part of the country has made a noticeable difference in all bodies of water. I live relatively close to a river where smallmouth can be caught. The last time I saw this river so low was several years ago during a really bad drought. I got in the water and made my way slowly to a run that dropped off into 3 feet of water. I was fishing a white streamer which I hoped would emulate some of the small baitfish. I started out catching 3 fish on my first five casts and then things simmered down a bit. I fished for about 3 hours, maybe a little less. I did try a clouser for a while but had no takes. I also tried a white gurgle-pop and caught my nicest smallie of the evening -- but that was the only one. I switched back to my little white streamer and caught several more before getting out of the river. I really thought the last 45 minutes would have been prime time to fish the topwater -- it was cloudy, light drizzle, and no wind. But the fish just didn't want it. All in all, a very pleasant afternoon of fishing. Fish count was somewhere in the mid teens and I hooked up/missed several others.

Greg