Hi Castwell,

Got a chuckle after the last bit of your column. Good job!

I can make 110 foot casts myself. Of course it takes me about 3 to 4 tries. I make one 30 foot cast, and then walk forward to where the fly landed, and from that spot I take my second cast, and so forth until I have reached the full 110 feet.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a practical use for my casting prowess. If I am trying to catch one of those 10 lbs brookies that you were mentioning in your article, I inevitibly catch an 8 inch rainbow in one of the preliminary 30 foot casts, and so never actually reach that 110 foot cast. On the way the hubub of catching that 8 inch rainbow always spooks all of the 10 lbs brookies. Consequently I have never actually caught one of the biggies.

My problem is clearly trying to cast too far. I would be far smarter to attempt to sneak up on the brookies and then make a perfect 30 foot cast. Alas, I would probably spook the 8 inch rainbows on the way, and they would again spook all of the monsters. As Joe Hyde has in his articles, "Better small than none at all." That said, maybe I should just concentrate on the 8 inch rainbows...

Regards,

Gandolf