Didn't have time to tie up a pile of PT nymphs and chironomids before last week's lake trip, so I bought a bunch of flies from Sportsman's Warehouse at 99 cents a pop. Then my fishin buddy and I seemed to be losing a LOT of fish....right near the boats, plus many short hookup and lose incidents.

Then I accidentally poked myself swapping flies. Well, not really, the darned hook wouldn't even puncture my thumb it was so dull! Right out of the bin, brand new fly. Also a couple cases of the hook actually breaking off at the curve while in the fish's mouth (these were big lake dwelling rainbows). And broke a few flies while crimping the barbs, PING!

What kind of crappy hooks are these folks using for their offshore fly tiers? I've never had such trouble with my own flies, even when I buy the cheapest hooks possible for tying, and even when using garage sale boxes of ancient hooks from 20 years ago?

Anyway, I guess you gets what you pays for. I'd rather support US and local tiers by buying at the local fly shop anyway, but this was an emergency and Sportsman's Warehouse was the only place nearby that was open to buy flies at.

DANBOB