+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant: big box store flies on BAD hooks

Default Rant: big box store flies on BAD hooks

Didn't have time to tie up a pile of PT nymphs and chironomids before last week's lake trip, so I bought a bunch of flies from Sportsman's Warehouse at 99 cents a pop. Then my fishin buddy and I seemed to be losing a LOT of fish....right near the boats, plus many short hookup and lose incidents.

Then I accidentally poked myself swapping flies. Well, not really, the darned hook wouldn't even puncture my thumb it was so dull! Right out of the bin, brand new fly. Also a couple cases of the hook actually breaking off at the curve while in the fish's mouth (these were big lake dwelling rainbows). And broke a few flies while crimping the barbs, PING!

What kind of crappy hooks are these folks using for their offshore fly tiers? I've never had such trouble with my own flies, even when I buy the cheapest hooks possible for tying, and even when using garage sale boxes of ancient hooks from 20 years ago?

Anyway, I guess you gets what you pays for. I'd rather support US and local tiers by buying at the local fly shop anyway, but this was an emergency and Sportsman's Warehouse was the only place nearby that was open to buy flies at.

DANBOB

Default Re: Rant: big box store flies on BAD hooks

I had a similar expirience two years ago with some flies from Cabelas. Tie my own now and do not have this problem.

BTW I am quite opposite. I have switched from Mustad to Gaimakatsu hooks - almost double the price and I personally think it is worth it but I tie only for myself and not that many to begin with.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I am sure that someone from there will come forward and explain how it was all a big mistake. That their hooks are the very best hand forged steel and the feathers are from pampered birdies. The flies are certainly guaranteed, that must cover hooking, bending, breaking, pulling out, getting dull, or getting lost. Be helpful, courteous and kind. Discuss this with them. I am sure they want to grow in the sport and will do anything to make you another perfectly satisfied customer, even tough they are not a sponsor on here.

The only hook problems I have ever had was when in a time crunch I bought hooks other than Mustad.
    I give a lot of flies away and friends would come back show me flies with broken non mustad hooks. I am a hard core mustad man. Lately I have been experimenting with Mustad's signiture hooks with good success

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn
    I had a similar expirience two years ago with some flies from Cabelas. Tie my own now and do not have this problem.

BTW I am quite opposite. I have switched from Mustad to Gaimakatsu hooks - almost double the price and I personally think it is worth it but I tie only for myself and not that many to begin with.
    You can also damage a expensive hook on your backcast while fishing a river (rocks)
    MikieFinn,
    Your situation is a good example of having complete quality control.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Even though I tie my own flies I did purchase some from a cheap outfit one time and I was taken by cheap hooks, cheap materials and bad proprotions.
    I think regular Mustad hooks are the worst followed by Dai Riki. My personal preference is for Tiemco and Daiichi hooks. I realize this is a purely subjective topic. Everyone has their favorites as well they should. This is just my personal opinion.
    Take care all!

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance
    Even though I tie my own flies I did purchase some from a cheap outfit one time and I was taken by cheap hooks, cheap materials and bad proprotions.
    I think regular Mustad hooks are the worst followed by Dai Riki. My personal preference is for Tiemco and Daiichi hooks. I realize this is a purely subjective topic. Everyone has their favorites as well they should. This is just my personal opinion.
    Take care all!
    90% of my flies are tied on Mustad hooks, and the rest on Tiemco & Targus (the same factory). I have no problems with factory hooks as some described above. I bleed frequently during my tying sessions, which validates my point

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hi Joe V: Just proves my point; it's a purely subjective thing. Do you mean Tiemco and Targus are made by the same factory? I'm glad we can agree to disagree. LOL!

well; since everyones jumping in with their hook preference, i will to.
    1.tiemco
    2.daiiki
    3.dairiki

and an occassional mustad slips in here and there. but then again i splurge for myself because im the nly person i tie for,sometimes my friends, and maybe a swap or 2.

Well.......
    The flies were 99 cents apiece.
    that would have raised a red flag for me.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I'm sorry it put a major damper on what sounds like a fantastic day of fishing!

Let me add that I use mustad signature hooks.
    If the style of hook I want isn't
    in the mustad signature series, then I can find a Partridge hook which will fit the bill.

Why mustad and partridge?
    they are sharp, they are tempered as I like them, and my flies fit on them.

And Jeff is a stand- up guy.

Best,
    Black Gnat ( the one with the space)

+ Reply to Thread