+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nice and easy

Default nice and easy

First few times I tried to flyfish, I couldn't get the setup to cooperate. It wasn't casting, it was flailing. It even seemed like hard work. Finally realized I was trying to force the rod into submission and I wasn't trying to throw out a 3/8 oz spinnerbait. Decided to try nice and easy and smooth, don't beat the thing to death. It's amazing how much better results are obtained with less exertion. By no means am I a good caster, but really feel improvement will keep coming. Hope this helps.

Default Re: nice and easy

gacurt;
    I had a good friend lay out several hundred dollars for fly fishing gear. Then I watched him cast! He was stuck with the 1/2 oz spiner rig and of course everthing came down on his head!! I took all afternoon to get him to realize he was casting the line not the fly. I think he gave up fly fishing!! Glad to hear you haven't. Keep at it and you find real pleasure in a great sport.
    You don't say where your from or what you fish for, that would be a big help in answering your questions.
    BTW Welcome aboard!

Blog Entries

Another welcome. I hope that you like it here.

Ed

Gacurtv-
    Welcome to the world of fly fishing. I am a newbie myself and have been doing it just under 2 months.
    If you have a way to recieve a couple lessons youll find it much easier to work on your cast and break those old spinner cast habits early and keep you from developing some new bad ones in your casting.

LF says if you hear the rod "whoosh", you're overpowering it. When I started overpowering, JC told me to practice casting with my "off hand" for 10 minutes. When I got back to casting right-handed, my tempo was fine. It's amazing what working with PROS can do for you!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread