+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: garage sale bamboo rods?

Default Re: garage sale bamboo rods - reference book

In 1997 I wrote a book called ANTIQUE & COLLECTIBLE FISHING RODS "identification and value guide". Still in print and available at Amazon.com and a few online fly shops. The price guide was enhanced and updated in 2003. It has helped thousands of garage sale collectors separate the junk from the good-stuff.
    Good fishing - Danny
    http://www.NorthwestFishingBooks.com

Default Re: garage sale bamboo rods?

I'm still new fishing bamboo so I have a question to tea stick what does it indacate when the ferrules make a clicking noise when cast(not meant to hijack)
    Uncle Ben, was my father a good fisherman? No Tommy, he was not. But no one loved it more.-Thomas McGuane

Hi Thomas,
    Here is a quick answer.
    Ferrule click can mean one of two things: (1) The ferrule is loose at the cane, or (2) The ferrule is no longer tight and the metal to metal connection is worn-down from use. In either case, a repair needs to be undertaken by a skilled craftsman - not the neighborhood handyman. If the ferrule is still functional and merely loose where it is glued to the bamboo, it will have to be reset and the ferrule station will perhaps have cause to be modified. Pinned ferrules must be carefully removed and the tiny pin remounted. For malady #2; A worn ferrule should be replaced, although I have known anglers to lightly electroplate with nickel-silver to compensate for the slop. A crude remedy and not at all recommended - some people chuck the female portion in a vise with the slightest touch of pressure to compress. I am sure there are some cane rod makers on board who can handle this question better than I.
    Danny
    http://www.NorthwestFishingBooks.com

Thanks everyone. The information provided will be a big help when evaluating a bamboo rod. I think I'll try to get a copy of the book as mentioned above. Thanks again.

It has been my experience that today at a garage sale if you find a bamboo rod it is probably not worth buying. Probably. Today everybody thinks every bamboo rod is worth a fortune ~~ even those rods brought back by the soldiers in the nice wooden box. Chances are you will find those rods with an inflated price tag rather than a nice bargain on a good rod. But you never know. You have been given good advice in this thread.

REV ROB hit the nail on the head. Everybody DOES think that because it's a baboo rod rod that it must be worth a lot of money. If you don't believe it, just look on eBay.

However, you never know when you might find a Pinky Gillum or even a nice servicable "hardware store" rod for very litttle money, and it could be fun looking.

Good luck!
    Scott

Here's something you might find at a garage sale that could help. Get a copy of Gierach's Trout Bum. He has a good chapter on cane rods. The fact that the book is over 20 years old is a help not a hinderance. It was written that much closer to a time when a lot of bamboo rods were around. Gierach did a lot of shopping too. I was surprised to see that companies like Shakespeare (the ugly stick people) turned out some premium rods. you have to know which ones because they also had high volume production rods too. The prices he mentions will break your heart unless you adjust for inflation.
    Bear742

I bought a bamboo(or fiberglass) fly rod....Hand written on it are " Yankee Clipper".. FL 750...7 1/2 ..3 3/4oz...Custom Made... Yankee Mfg. Co. Can not find anything on this...it's a ghost I guess...do you know anuthing on this rod...

http://www.yankeescrewproducts.com/About-Us.aspx

Little bit about the fly rod. You may want to contact the company to see if they can provide more information for you.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've picked up quite a few cane rods from garage sales and swap meets, places like that.

I'm only interested in fishable rods, or rods that can be restored to fishable condition, so collectors value means nothing to me.

Some of them fish really well, others are not so good. But all of them were cheap (most I paid was $5). I enjoyed the search, and the ones I won't ever fish will still be used for other things. Cane, even from 'junk' rods, makes a great handle for tools that turn into gifts for other fly fishermen friends, things like that.

Also, if you want to learn how to restore a rod that you are going to fish with, practicing on a junk one is a good way to keep from making the bigger mistakes on a rod you really want to use.

Like I said, though, I'm not a collector. I'm sure the collectors would be crying over what I do to the good rods I find.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread