+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Forecast rod?

Default A Forecast rod?

Hook and Hackle has what they call a "Forecast" rod. Multi pieced, really inexpensive, blanks. Anyone have any experience with them...no not H&H...they're great! I mean the rod blank! Looks like it may make a good grandchild rod?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have built a few rods using forcast and rain shadow blanks. They are a decent rod for what you are paying.

I got one of the Forecast 7 1/2' 4-weight multi-piece blanks from H&H last year. I just couldn't pass up the price, what with their online discount, etc. I was pretty impressed with the quality. I built it for a back up rod and to take on plane trips. It turned out real nice.

Blog Entries

Betty , watch out for this blank. You just may want to keep it for yourself.

I built a 5wt 5 piece and two 9wt's. I have not had much time to try out the nines yet but the 5 wt is one of the nicest rods I ever owned and I never leave home without it. There is no better way to enter into the rod building hobby than with a H&H Forecast kit... FB.

Betty,

Several years ago I built 8 of them. Gave one to my son (9' 5wt 2pc), one to a friend (7-1/2' 4wt, 4pc) and I have the remaining 6. Very happy with all of them and use them all the time. I had an excellent caster cast my 9' 5wt. From the tip top, he was able to cast 105 feet of line plus leader. He dubbed the rod a 'line eater' because he kept feeding it line until he reached that maximum distance. Oh, I'd have to say the action is moderately fast.

Allan

I thought you were an excellent caster allan ;-]

mgj

I got a forecast rod...every time I try and use it, it begins to thunder and lightning blasts from the sky. Even the wind blows like the dickens....nice rod, I figured I'd try and sell it to some corn farmer in Iowa that is goin' though a drought, or a sailor with a new sail boat that needs wind. All they gottta do is take it outside and say, "I'm goin' fishin' now!"

Don't want to highjack the post, but does anyone have experience of their 5'0" 2 weight rod??

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

Garic,

Not trying to be funny. I wonder what you'd get if you use the top 2 sections of a 9' 4 piece in the lightest weight Baston manufactures? That'd be about 4-1/2 feet of something in a 2 piece.

Anyone have an idea about the end result?

Oh, in answer to your specific question - No.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread