Jim,
Thanks. I went again yesterday (see the I caught some fish thread I started). I had several small dry flies with me this time. All were in the 18-22 size range. Had Adams, Mosquitoes and some little black gnats. I was watching the midge hatch and the flies I was throwing looked just like the things that were dancing on the water (same basic shape, size and color). I had a couple zebra nymphs which sould like what you're tying as well.

Unfortunately, they were not terribly interested in what I was throwing.

Out of frustration and also because the light was fading and I couldn't see to tie on those tiny flies any more (magnyfing glasses in my near future for sure), I tied on a #12 Royal Coachman. I really wasn't expecting anything to come of it as it was HUGE compared to what they were eating.

Well, long story short, they were hitting it with regularity. I managed to bring two to hand. One 12" and one 16".

I still want to try the little "match the hatch" flies because I think that is the real ticket. However, I couldn't get anything to take the nymphs or the dry flies yesterday. More practice must be needed. My drifts were good and a LOT of my casts drifted the fly right over a fish's head without even a look.

I was using 6X tippet and other than a few casts, I didn't slap the water or drift the fly line over the fish's head. The Coachman was the ticket for me yesterday.

Jeff

If you get a chance, please PM me. I'd like to ask some questions about this stretch of water and probably do not need to take up forum space talking about something that regional.

js