I have enjoyed the cane fly rod questions, and now I have one for you. My grandfather recently showed my dad his old cane poles that he had and I had a couple of questions:
1. I know they haven't been used for a long time, not for sure if they have had anything done to them other than storage in thier cases ( I believe cloth). What do we need to do to "clean them up"? Is it a task we could do, or do we need to take them somewhere?
2. I know the makers of 2 of them, South Bend which I have seen mentioned in a few posts which seems to have been a lower tier rod, not for sure on the quality of South Bend's, how "are they"? The other is a Shakespeare, my dad looked up the model number and it looked like it may have been in 1931, does this sound right? The other simply has H & I co. on it, any info would be great! The other 2 do not have any identification or markings on them.
3. Would you reccommend using them? And if so what weight of line is common, or would you need more info. It would be nice to use them, I have absolutely no interest in selling them, but to refinish them or make them usable would be key.
I know I will get some good info, so thanks in advance.
Drew

------------------
A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
That's WHAT I got.