+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Hitch

Default Half Hitch

I am TRYING to tie a Henry's Lake Caddis as originated by Marvin Nolte and shown in Tying Emergers by Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson on page 78. It calls for preening woodduck feather barbs backwards toward the bend, then pushing forward to create a bubble and tie off with a 6 inch tag end of the thread from the initial tie on using a couple of half hitches. How does one tie these half hitches without catching the bobbin thread? My success in trying to do this so far has been zilch, nadda, etc. All suggestions will be appreciated.
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

Default Re: Half Hitch

if I am understanding correctly, I would take the tag end pointing toward the back of the hook. Catch the tag with my hackle pliars about 1.5 inches from the fly. pass the remaining tag over the material and hook and back under. now I have the tag in my fingers and the hackle pliars with the other end of the tag on the same side of the hook with the hook in between the hold points. pass the free end of the tag through the loop created between the hackle pliars and original tie in point. Put the hitch where it needs to be and pull on the free tag end as you let go of with the hackle pliars. I think that is what you are trying to do but I may be wrong. If I am right you can probably simplify the method once you know where the thread needs to go. Post again and let me know if this helps, or if I am confussed also.

Flyrodde - Thanks for the help. I think that is what the instructions are saying. It looks like it may be a half hitch. The only thing that concerns me is the knot does not seem to be as tight as a half hitch usually is and the hackle can be slid fore and aft under the knot without too much difficulty. A little head cement will fix that. Another option I have is to finish dressing the fly and after whip finishing the head and trimming the thread I can go back and tie a couple of half hitches without too much trouble.
    Lee

I just was wondering if this is the fly; www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/121205fotw.html
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Doug, - Yes, that is the fly. I see that the Beatty's use a whip finish for the tail, while Leeson uses a couple of half hitches. I don't think I would have any better luck trying to tie a whip finish over the bobbin, but maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've tied a few already (with half hitches) but I'm not very satisfied with them.
    Lee

Guess I'd finish the head stuff first ...then finish the tail....

If I may be so bold, you could track down Al Beatty's PM on this BB and see if he has any input.
    Ducksterman's idea makes sense also.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

After looking at the fly from the link I have a better idea of what is happening.

If you are still having trouble with the whip or hitches at the rear of the fly try tying it differently.

Instead of wrapping the bubble at the front of the fly and pulling the fibres back, strip the fibres from the quill and tie them in as a tail first. Dub your body then pull the fibres forward and tie them down. To get them around the whole body either roll them around the shank as you tie them in (similarly to spinning deer hair) or push them down around the shank then wrap them in place carefully.

Try it all ways and see what results you like best.

You may also try leaving a lot more tag length, finish the fly and whip your head. Then tie down the bubble fibres by hand with the tag, just 2 turns, then using your whip finisher to whip the butt of the fly.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to keep you posted.

use a half hitch tool.

Here is a suggestion...

After step #3, where you tie in and form the hackle collar behind the eye, do a 2-3 whip finish and remove the thread bobbin. Then use the long thread created in step #1 and your whip finish tool and whip finish at the tail tie in point. Then restart your thread behind the eye like you would when beginning to tie a fly.

Just a suggestion on how I would do it if I was going to tie this pattern.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread