+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

One of our members was looking for a starter rig. I was shopping the other day and found a SOUTH BEND Royal Wulff 5/6 8ft.with a martin 63 reel.It was a street side vender .The rig is new and he wanted $20.00 for it.I have never cast a South Bend.Would this be a good starter rig.
    Thanks in advance.
    Donn

Hey there actdon;
    So when you say you need help do you mean you need to borrow the twenty bucks??
    I don't know you at all but you have FAOL credentials so I'd be happy to lend ya tha money.

Mark

Mark
    Thanks for the offer really.I started out with a used ST.CROIX and never fished a south bend.I guess I am asking if this would be a good starter rig for a new flyfisher.
    Donn

Donn

Never having fished a South Bend rod I know nothing about them. But if you have a St Croix, why switch? St Croix makes a fine rod. Also, there are other kits out there that may be a bette buy than the South Bend and martin combo. St Croix and Scientific Anglers make some good starter combos. So does Cabelas and Orvis.

Just my $.02.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

For a starter rig? You sound sorta new at the game of fly fishing. Iffen this true....I think any combo at $20 and under is good. You have a lot to learn and catching up to do. Man I say that cause I know how behinder I am. But I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over $20. I doubt it will be your one and only.....but I think it's wise to start with it. Go forward from there. The outfit will get you to learning about lengths, rod weights and matching lines, etc. Later can be used for showing others, practicing wrapping eyelets, line could be used to practice tying line and leader knots......$20. Sounds good to me. With very little effort you could spend a whole bunch more and still not be satisfied.

Jim

Donn,

Had an old South Bend and a Martin reel a few years back. Served the purpose then. Started upgrading about three years ago and appreciate the difference now.

The combo you are looking at will work.... if you will put a GOOD line on it. A few years ago JC,LF and I did a show together Jim came over with a glass rod that one of the dealers was selling for 19.95 with reel and line and asked me to use it in the casting demo when it was my turn I tryed it and it was junk I replaced the line with a Wulff TT and it worked pretty well Would i recamend the rod NO! ... but it did work would I recamend the reel NO! but it did work. Nor would I recomend JC's broom. Even that has a good line on it! HEY JC rember the Budwiser Girl that wanted the lessons I think you got Photos. lol

Rich

"Budwiser Girl", "a good line makes a difference" ... mmmm!

Hey guys, I think a few of you missed the question. Donn was not asking about this outfit for him but for someone else.

If it gets someone started in fly fishing, it's good. A good line will make a bad rod better. One good thing about starting with a crappy outfit is how good you feel when you finally get a good one.

------------------
    Joe

Blog Entries

I'd think that one could not go wrong for $20.00.
    Hey there Donn, how is the fishing down Granbury way?

Robin in McKinney

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:d3559]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:d3559]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

If it get some one going great but if it is a bad out fit he may quit.

my Dad told me and everyone that ever came in to his store to get a rod for a beginer (he is 85 now and sold rods and reels from 1945-1982 and I quote " give your good rod to the beginner or kid and you use the cheep junk, a good caster can make anything work. the beginner needs all the help he can get!" this is still true today.
    Don't even try to tell me that hipreformance rods are hard to cast for a beginner. as for the line, a poor quality line will make a great rod fish like crap. The good news is that a 100,00 rod today is on average twice as good of a tool for casting than you could buy for any amount of money up untill the the late 70's and early 80's that includes my best cane lenard or Michele.
    Buy a poor out fit for 20.00 and replace it in a few trips or buy an outfit for 150.00 and have a backup rod for life when you step up to a new one.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread