+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Third Time Was The Charm

Default Third Time Was The Charm

Inspired by Rick Z I went back the the golf course lake that is 2.3 miles from my office. This was my third trip and the first two trips I was skunked using the normal Gurgle-Pop and GRHE. I only have about 30 minutes to fish once I get to the lake and get rigged up so time is a wasting when not fishing. Today I tried a small Clouser Deep Minnow with bead chain eyes tied onto a #10 nymph hook blue over white. The overall length of the fly is only about 2 inches.

Using my new 6'6" 2wt I started working a lenght of shorline that was more or less shaded and caught three fish today. A couple brightly colored bluegills about 6" to 7" and a 10" LMB!

Here is a picture of the lake looking back toward the main road and the bluegill. What a blast and tension releiver!

Thanks Rick!!!

Semper Fi

Greg

Default Re: Third Time Was The Charm

Great story, Greg - kind of inspirational!

Jeff

Good job Greg, I wish I had a pond like that 2 miles from my work. I have one but it had a fish kill last year
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

That has to be a sweet little rod and some kind of fun. At first I misread 10" for 10#, if that were the case you would still be there. Golf course lakes can be excellent. If you check with the greenskeeper some will let you in to them on Mondays. They generally don't want you in during play so you won't get konked.

There is on in south Florida with some baby tarpon I am waiting patiently to get in again. As much fun as they were on a spinning rod, a flyrod has to be a hoot.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse
    That has to be a sweet little rod and some kind of fun. At first I misread 10" for 10#, if that were the case you would still be there. Golf course lakes can be excellent. If you check with the greenskeeper some will let you in to them on Mondays. They generally don't want you in during play so you won't get konked.

There is on in south Florida with some baby tarpon I am waiting patiently to get in again. As much fun as they were on a spinning rod, a flyrod has to be a hoot.
    Uncle Jesse,
    Question; HOW do baby tarpon get into a inland pond?? Do they grow only according to how big the pond/lake is?
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I want you to notice the quote for the week on the main page.
    Since you are now hooked you will have to keep it in mind.

Glad you had a good time.

Rick

Uncle Jesse,
    Question; HOW do baby tarpon get into a inland pond?? Do they grow only according to how big the pond/lake is?
    Thanks,
    Doug

The water hazard is very close to the intercoastal waterway. I suspect there are connecting culverts between the two that the baby tarpon swam into and haven't found the way out. Three or 4 years back I caught two on a bass weight spinning outfit, it was a hoot. I believe I still have friends connected to that resort that will arrange for me to have access again if I can get back to the area. I now have a utilitarian weight and grade travel rod that will be slightly overmatched, which will make it more fun.

I'm off to challenge the trout of the Chattahoochee, wish me well because when it comes to trout I need all the help I can get.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread