I was told about some monster carp at the lake near my house. I went down there and found a few cruising in about 4 ft of water. I could only see them while on the dock they were cruising under. With the leader out of the rod tips but no fly line, I lowered a large bead head Whitlock Fox Squirrel nymph on the bottom. It took me an hour, but when one went over the fly, I wiggled it and it picked it up. It was a smaller one, only about 2 ft long and about 12-15 lbs maybe. There was a larger one that was 3 ft if an inch and had to be 20lbs+. The smaller one took off, and doubled my 9 wt rod over, I tightened up the drag, and proceeded to put pressure on him. I figured I would have to be aggressive or he was going to take my fly across the lake. After about 5 minutes the fly came lose . . . . Whew! . . . What fun . . I am glad I had my 9 wt and not my 4 wt!

I did get a bluegill on the 9 wt. Not much of a fight on 1X tippet! But it was the first fish I have caught on that rod! So it's been used finally.

-wayne