+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bird skins question

1. Default bird skins question

I came across a boat load of bird skins in an old fly shop. They have been stored in a freezer for many many many many years, some of the birds are on today's endangered list. They appear to be in good shape, no bugs, feathers seem firm and clean.

1. Since they have been in a freezer is there any thing one needs to do ( waste, etc etc) . Can they be taken out of the freezer ? and keep next to my fly tying table??

2. are there any legal ramifications? Best info is that the skins have been in the freezer for about 15 years???

Default Re: bird skins question

I have some exotic stuff as well and I was told that as long as you can verify that it wasnt killed by you or you dont know where it came from and the age can be determined by the skins if investigated into, there is no doubt of the age of a skins age if you have the right equipment and antone questioning it would. As far as the freezer part the only thing I could think of would be extra fat left on the skins that needs to be cared for, and that they may not tie well due to the fact they may be to fragile due to freezer burning. If you want to try them do so I would if you dont want to mess with them let me know I would deffinately be interested. Hope this helps you.

In the UK just having possession of the skin or fur of an endagered species is against the law. I presume DEFRA rules are international and apply just about most other places as well.

A friend of mine picked up a dead badger that had been killed in a road accident here, and only just escaped a massive fine, for having it in his car after he was spotted.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Blog Entries

I would check with the local fish and game office, and the federal fish and game office, some birds, just having posession of the parts is a federal crime, I wouldnt want to get charged for possession, the fines are harsh and they pull you licence for a long time.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I wouldn't tell anyone! The less people know the better! Thaw them as you need them you'll know if there still good or not. "Is that an Eagle feather son?" NO! SIR! thats a dyed chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

hcmmiller --- the federal officers are up on all the answers people give with illegal items and they do check. Tie at a show and have your material checked--like my Polor Bear fur patch. They do know the what a chicken looks like. I wouldn't give a person the advice your giving. BILL

And I don't think any responsible fisherman would ever advise anyone to break the law even if they do not agree with that law.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

As you thaw the skins make sure they dry completely. After drying you shouldn't have a problem with keeping them.

As for the leagal aspect. Call your local department of environmental conservation or equivellent. Tell them your situation: You found some old bird skins with feathers and are unsure if any of the skins are of endangered species. They will tell you if they want to idendify them or if you are safe and or what you should do if you are not safe. After the call do what they say. If you can keep the feathers make sure they never leave your home so there is no confussion by other officers that may see them. But good find, good luck with them. Oh, MAKE SURE THEY NEVER CROSS STATE LINES if you can keep an endangered feather in your state. That only complicates matters if you are ever caught.

After all with all the discussions over the years about legality of feathers on all the tying websites, have you ever seen a written response from USFW?

Well for what it's worth, last year I made inquiries to US Fish and Wildlife, (i.e. their legal section) to settle several question that were being tossed around on this board and amonst some tying friends, i.e coot and other feathers. The results of those experiences in contacting USFW for answers is that while they tend to err on the the side of draconian replies, this agency does NOT have its act together on these types of questions.

I was promised answers to a series of questions, and while I did receive a call from a very nice lady, with whom I had a nice long disscussion, during which I brought up a number of opinitions on feather legalities circulating out in the tying community. However in the end, she was at a complete loss as to being able to give definative answers!

She was going to get the answers and get back with me.... but I never heard from her again.

However, with that said, while the world may actually be gray, USFW can see the world in any color that they wish, and as they still carry the BIG stick and unless ya' are ready to go up against them...
    discretion is still the better part of valor... i.e. take the conservative path, after all its your life.... and wallet.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

While taking a ride (soaking) in the jet boat on the Rogue River in Grants Pass, OR last August, we were fortunate enough to see an eagle flying from its nest. In flight a feather came off the wing and began floating toward the ground in an open field. A passenger asked the boat operator if he could pull to the side so that she could pick up the feather as a souvenir, and we were all told that possession of an eagle feather is a federal crime, subject to fines and possible imprisonment, and he was having no part in a federal offense.

To that end, while canoe fishing on the Grand River in NE Ohio yesterday, I saw a young eagle "fishing" not far from me (He did better than me, btw). After catching a fish off the surface he lost a wing feather while climbing back to his roost. I remembered lat year's incident, and let the feather float down the river. It would have been a fine prize, but not at the possible expense of fines and jail time.

Truth be told, there is a substitute material for virtually every feather or fur that is in the endangered species list, so why would you want to take the chance of being prosecuted for having something that volatile in your possession? Do you really think the fish know the difference? I talked to my local fishies and they said they really can't notice the difference.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread